Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 23 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:17 AM

Anybody that can help on microbial standards for Haloumi cheese, expecially coliforms, E.coli and pathogens that may be a risk factor for this product?

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:58 AM

Anybody that can help on microbial standards for Haloumi cheese, expecially coliforms, E.coli and pathogens that may be a risk factor for this product?

Hi Leonie,

You need to be cautious with levels for this cheese as it is usually relatively high moisture and low acidity.

South African guidelines can be found here:

REGULATIONS RELATING TO MILK AND DAIRY PRODUCTS - Published under Government Notice No. R. 1555 of 21 November 1997

Subject to the provisions of the Act, no person shall sell any dairy product or composite product which -
© with the except ion of ripened cheese -
(i ) on execution of the test ... contains more than 50 coliform bacteria per 1, 0ml of fluid or 1,0g of solid or semi-solid product;
(i i ) on execution of the modified Eijkmann test ....is found to contain any Escherichia col i in 1, 0ml of fluid or 1,0g of solid or semi-solid product

Guidelines for environmental health officers on the interpretation of microbiological analysis of food - Department of Health Directorate: Food Control

Kind regards,

Tony

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users