• Quick Navigation
Photo

How can the CODEX HACCP Model be improved?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1364 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

As a recent forum poll suggests our members have a lot of experience with HACCP, in addition I have picked up the odd snippet whereby members have suggested HACCP models could be improved.

General Principles of Food Hygiene - CODEX Alimentarius was last revised some ten years ago (2003). If we take this as the de facto source for HACCP how can the model be improved – if at all, with the challenges we face in 2013 and beyond?

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 1 Member:

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

To be honest Simon, i've all but abandoned Codex, and i use the CCFRA HACCP; A practical Guide Edition 4. I know it's based on Codex, but i find it more relevant to what we do. I've had no problems getting it past auditors. I do make reference to Codex in my HACCP documentation, but that's more like lip service really.

George @ Safefood 360°

Grade - SIFSQN

• Corporate Sponsor
  • 374 posts
  • 327 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

IMO this is one of the more important questions for food safety management at the moment. As you say Simon, CODEX is now 10 years old. In the field of any professional or scientific persuit this would be considered too long. In general, the principles remain sound but the methodology leaves a lot to be desired.

Before we improve anything (including Codex HACCP) we first have to define clearly what is wrong with it. Many of us know that it simply does not help us meet the various and increasing demands of food safety auditors. We know that food safety failures occur; that everytime a new auditor looks at our HACCP studies new issues arise; often it is difficult to clearly identify CCP's; when we do what exactly does this mean...and so on.

Why is it when the principles are sound is it so unsatisfactory for those who have to apply them? Like any methodology that has been neglected for 10 years, the real world, emerging events and the collective experience of a large population of practitioners has been lost to the benefit of the system. What a shame!

Simon, your question is a big one and the answer has to be an even bigger Yes. We need to start with a clear account of where it is failing, followed by proposals from practitioners for improvement. From this an improved model and methodology can be developed. I intend to have available a contribution on this based on my own ideas soon.

George

Thanked by 1 Member:

syju28380

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 47 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:26 AM

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 12 August 2015 - 11:02 PM

hi syju,

Thanks for the link.

It's a fantastic organisation but unfortunately necessitates (financial) committment from Top Management.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users