Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:54 AM

I am working with a trader that wants to get SQF certification for retail products that it imports. We dont handle any product, and strorage and distribution is handled by a contract warehouse. We identify manufacturer's of products and then arrange importation. How do I conduct a HACCP study of the procurement process? Does anyone have a template to share?

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

I’m not sure you need to carry out a HACCP study but you certainly need very comprehensive Supplier Quality Assurance systems which ensure that you purchase from approved suppliers to agreed standards and specifications.  It is the manufacturers that should have HACCP based Food Safety Management Systems in place and also storage & distribution contractors would also need to be included. 

It is these SQA procedures that you need to develop and I’m sure members can help you with that. Let us know what products you bring in from where and who uses them and we can help you some more.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,681 posts
  • 1145 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:21 PM

I am working with a trader that wants to get SQF certification for retail products that it imports. We dont handle any product, and strorage and distribution is handled by a contract warehouse. We identify manufacturer's of products and then arrange importation. How do I conduct a HACCP study of the procurement process? Does anyone have a template to share?

Is the contracted warehouse/DC SQF certified?

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Steve J

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:12 AM

Thanks for your comments. Even though we are not handling food, SQF requires that there be a HACCP study conducted. I agree, the SQA process needs to be very robust, but it is the HACCP study on the importation/distribution process that I am asking assistance for. It does seem a little weird to have a HACCP study but that's the requirement. Hence my request for a template. Products imported are frozen fruits, canned fruits and cookies.  

I would be interested in getting assistance on the SQA procedures if anyone can share that info.

Valentin S

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• France
    France

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:26 AM

Thanks for your comments. Even though we are not handling food, SQF requires that there be a HACCP study conducted. I agree, the SQA process needs to be very robust, but it is the HACCP study on the importation/distribution process that I am asking assistance for. It does seem a little weird to have a HACCP study but that's the requirement. Hence my request for a template. Products imported are frozen fruits, canned fruits and cookies.  

I would be interested in getting assistance on the SQA procedures if anyone can share that info.

Hello all,

I quote that Steve said, i have the same question. 

For me it's a sort of contracts signature about the engagment of the supplier over the HACCP proceed. But in our haccp (ifs broker v.2) we have to do this analysis. 

For example : during the product's conception, the risk is "Defect of sanitary control during the manufacturing"

Did someone create or applicate this proceddure in this forum  ? I searched since a lot of month in internet but nobody find a really good answer... 

I hope i was clear in spite of my french accent.

pauline22

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• France
    France

Posted 09 November 2015 - 09:44 AM

Good morning all, 

I am relaunching the discussion but I've got the same issue ! 

How to carry on an HACCP study ?! Did someane achived this goal !  :spoton:

Valentin S

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• France
    France

Posted 09 November 2015 - 11:44 AM

Good morning to you,

So... By my side I tried, I started but nothing really convincing... 

One of the point about CCP : you have to designate one at minimum

For example analysies which have to be a blocking point. 

What do you think about it ? 

Good morning all, 

I am relaunching the discussion but I've got the same issue ! 

How to carry on an HACCP study ?! Did someane achived this goal !  :spoton:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 09 November 2015 - 02:48 PM

Hi Pauline/Valentin,

"Defect of sanitary control during the manufacturing"

Sounds like GMP ?

IFS seems  unfortunately in limited use by posters on this Forum. I appreciate that it's popular in France/Germany.

You may need to be more specific with yr query(s) to get useful feedback. Perhaps the para / detailed text / product / process ?

Regardless, it's nice to get some input from the home of Catherine Deneuve. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Valentin S

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• France
    France

Posted 09 November 2015 - 03:58 PM

Oh, Catherine really ? I prefer Marion Cotillard, but nevermind. 

GMP concerns especially company which produce, which have to manipulate the products. In my case, we are a company working with supplier and subcontractors. No visibility on the product except with some samples. 

Am I clear despite my english level 

In my case, the activity concerns import of food from country all over the world. The process is almost : 

Select product/supplier

Contract

Supplier production of the product

Transport

Lading

Transport --> France

Sanitary visit

Storage / Quality control

Customer order

Delivery

Hi Pauline/Valentin,

Sounds like GMP ?

IFS seems  unfortunately in limited use by posters on this Forum. I appreciate that it's popular in France/Germany.

You may need to be more specific with yr query(s) to get useful feedback. Perhaps the para / detailed text / product / process ?

Regardless, it's nice to get some input from the home of Catherine Deneuve. :smile:

pauline22

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• France
    France

Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:38 PM

I am more Vincent Cassel ... Too many botox treatments  with Catherine  :giggle:

Like Valentin, I am working for a proper trader. 

In my company, we are buying and selling frozen meat (pork, poultry, ovin and beef), we do not have any direct contact with the product. 

The main issue is the following:   We have to built an HACCP plan (and other different things linked to the IFS) but we are subcontracting more or less everything ! 

Concerning GMP, It's one of the different quality documents that we ask for during an audit in specific plant.

Do you think we have to make one ?

(We are not added any value to the product.)   

I think we have to put ccp from the moment that one of our subcontractor load the product, at this time the product is our propety, "we are taking the risk". 

One of the CCP can be an accident between the truck and another vehicules don't you think ? 

Valentin S

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• France
    France

Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:47 PM

Pauline,

It's a possibility the case you evoke. But in this case, everything could arrive... a storm, the snow, an animal crossing the road... I think you have to generalise the hzards which can occure and have a direct impact on the product. 

For example, if the truck of your subcontractor has an accident, what is the main problem ? The elevation of the temperature, so the main problem is "rupture de la chaîne du froid" (ice chain broken??)

So the problem is identificated, how do you control this ? Temperature control at the departure of the meat, and at his arrival on the coldstore. Moreover you have to control if the glazing is correct and not too high am I correct ? 

The elevation of glazing could be a synonym of high temperature and low during the transport, transforming the ice in water and in ice one again. 

I am more Vincent Cassel ... Too many botox treatments  with Catherine  :giggle:

In my company, we are buying and selling frozen meat (pork, poultry, ovin and beef), we do not have any direct contact with the product. 

The main issue is the following:   We have to built an HACCP plan (and other different things linked to the IFS) but we are subcontracting more or less everything ! 

Concerning GMP, It's one of the different quality documents that we ask for during an audit in specific plant.

I think we have to put ccp from the moment that one of our subcontractor load the product, at this time the product is our propety, "we are taking the risk". 

One of the CCP can be an accident between the truck and another vehicules don't you think ? 

Neilmd

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 November 2015 - 07:59 PM

Hi all,
For guidance on this have a look at the BRC Agents and Brokers standard that gives advice on HACCP for the supply chain and other process that you are involved in. My company has this standard and although every product is different the standand (Free on the BRC) website should be able to give some guidelines for you. If you get stuck I will try and help if I can

Thanks
Neil

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 09 November 2015 - 09:39 PM

Hi Pauline/Valentin,

Thks for the scope clarification. I get it now.

I presume you are both interested in ifs Broker2. ?

I agree with Neilmd that BRC’s Broker presentation is, haccp-wise, more informative to read than IFS. BRC suggest a few typical generic hazards for you. It’s a free download. Example extract  here -

http://www.ifsqn.com...t-5/#entry64925

Seems to me yr basic problem is same as the manufacturers’ haccp. It’s necessary to understand the hazards at each step in the flow under consideration and which, if any, are significant ones (>>CCPs) as per a risk assessment.

You could get some idea of hazards at beginning and end of journey from the S&D forum. There are some nice haccp plans there covering arrival/departure/distribution of various types of goods from warehouses.

As you already mentioned, temperature is likely to be an important parameter for all the route for chilled/frozen goods. Probably a CCP for some people. And physical damage (probably handled by PRP)

I was unable to find any mention of “sanitary control” in the IFS standard.

Assuming you have some suitable Prerequisites activated, my guess is that for typical products there may be zero CCPs when you do a Risk Assessment.

Hope that helps a bit.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 10 November 2015 - 07:09 AM

Hi Pauline,

My apologies, i missed yr (last) post first time around.

TBH, I found the IFS broker standard rather confusing. I found the IFS broker-related faq document more intelligible but also occasionally confusing/contradictory with respect to the standard. Maybe because I’m unfamiliar with (Broker) aspects / requirements / procedures.  The BRC broker document seemed much clearer / prescriptive at first sight.

For example, this (2.1.4) text in the IFS Broker faq / haccp segment looked important regarding scope –

The broker shall perform a risk analysis for all steps under his responsibility and for all steps of the broker services. The key is to define the broker responsibility very clearly.

BUT I also noticed there are restrictions on what can be included in the scope of the broker standard, eg  para. 1.8 in the faq regarding warehousing, transport, distribution.

I deduce yr main query is with regard to the scope / requirement for a haccp-type hazard analysis.

The scope of any  haccp-type hazard analysis will seemingly depend on what you are doing/contracted to do but within the context of the standard also.

If yr interpretation of yr scope is correct, the requirement to do a “hazard analysis” looks applicable to  a relatively short path in comparison to the more extended chain shown by Valentine (different contracted responsibilities perhaps ?).

Either way, IMO as per my previous post, most of any potential hazards should be covered by Prerequisite programs (= GMP). The key to defining any significant hazards if not handled by a Prerequisite program is via Likelihood of Occurrence and Severity.

Typical, fairly easily adaptable, templates for food hazard analyses are available on this forum, eg

http://www.ifsqn.com...ge-7#entry50651

(the significant hazards shown derived from left-hand side would be directly CCPs in a traditional non-iso haccp plan)

I met some similar problems to what you are discussing when I started designing haccp plans for auditing purposes. I threw all scope-type queries to my intended CB who freely answered all of them. They have the experience and they want your business. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users