6 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Newsgirl

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 11,939 posts
  • 18 thanks
Neutral
  • Interests:Scouring the WWW for interesting Food Safety & Quality News. Becoming #1 poster on the forums. Being a robot.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:01 PM

The Food Standards Agency has been informed by Asda that very low levels of the veterinary medicine phenylbutazone, known as bute, have been found in 340g tins of its Smart Price Corned Beef.

http://www.food.gov....3/apr/asda-bute

Thanked by 1 Member:
sci

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

The Food Standards Agency has been informed by Asda that very low levels of the veterinary medicine phenylbutazone, known as bute, have been found in 340g tins of its Smart Price Corned Beef.

http://www.food.gov....3/apr/asda-bute

I fear we're all going to become vegetarians...until we have a food scare there!

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:31 AM

Not me. Meat and fish are the only things I don't buy from supermarkets, instead I go to the local butchers and the market for fish. The meat is locally sourced and the fish I am assured from known source. Of course you pay extra, but at least you know it's good stuff.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Mendeljev

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 53 posts
  • 25 thanks
Neutral

• Belgium
    Belgium

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:53 AM

Not me. Meat and fish are the only things I don't buy from supermarkets, instead I go to the local butchers and the market for fish. The meat is locally sourced and the fish I am assured from known source. Of course you pay extra, but at least you know it's good stuff.

Don't want to upset you but when the "horse-scandal" broke out there was an interesting interview in the local newspaper and they interviewed a retired butcher.

He didn't understand all the commotion, because when he was a butcher, all the horse meat that wasn't sold at the end of the week, was going into a prepared stew (stoofvlees / carbonades) that normally is made with beef. Because the meal was called "butcher's stew" there is no problem as regards to the correct labeling.

I personally don't have a problem with that, it's a very understandable way of economical thinking, but on the otherhand, at the butcher side there is no info on ingrediënt-declaration, allergen control, etc ....

I repeat, if one wants to be 100% sure of what they are eating, we have to go back to home breeding/ growing everything ourselves.

I blame the economic system for everything. Money and the greed to have more and more is creating a lot of problems. But as i'm part of the system, i kinda have to blame myself too :helpplease:

whoops kinda lot of philosophical things for a monday moirning :smarty:

Quality is not an act, it is a habit.(Aristoteles 384 BC-322 BC)

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

Good morning Mendeljev, you say a retired butcher. I'm talking about a modern butcher that has won awards for their meat. I trust they only use locally produced (horse free) products. However, if they did horse it would probably be very tasty. :smile:

Wherever money is involved there will always be unsrupulous and immoral people trying to make profit at any cost. And again that's why I don't negotiate on meat and fish, I want to know the source and the trader I can trust.

I wonder what Aristoteles would say...on a Monday morning.

Cheers,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

Don't want to upset you but when the "horse-scandal" broke out there was an interesting interview in the local newspaper and they interviewed a retired butcher.

He didn't understand all the commotion, because when he was a butcher, all the horse meat that wasn't sold at the end of the week, was going into a prepared stew (stoofvlees / carbonades) that normally is made with beef. Because the meal was called "butcher's stew" there is no problem as regards to the correct labeling.

I personally don't have a problem with that, it's a very understandable way of economical thinking, but on the otherhand, at the butcher side there is no info on ingrediënt-declaration, allergen control, etc ....

I repeat, if one wants to be 100% sure of what they are eating, we have to go back to home breeding/ growing everything ourselves.

I blame the economic system for everything. Money and the greed to have more and more is creating a lot of problems. But as i'm part of the system, i kinda have to blame myself too :helpplease:

whoops kinda lot of philosophical things for a monday moirning :smarty:

I too buy local, what i can, where i can. Our local farmers markets are brilliant. And we also grow the majority of our fruit and veg, although we have difficulty with bananas and avocados!! Food tends to be quite seasonal in our house. We've just finished the swedes and have started on lettuces and spring onions. We're lucky in that we have a small holding so that we can do this. At the end of the summer, the glut of fruit and veg that is left is either pickled, turned into chutney or frozen.

Each year we slaughter a cow, so i know exactly where my beef is from. We also keep chickens and ducks, so eggs are plentiful, and their not being fed on GM maize as they are truly free range (ie wild!). I buy a lamb from a local farmer so i know where that's come from too.

I've also found a very good fish monger in our local town. And living on the Burry Estuary, cockles and mussles are plentiful.

Almost the good life.

Caz xx

Edited by cazyncymru, 15 April 2013 - 08:58 AM.

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:58 PM

I've just been reading the FVO audit report on Beef Traceability carried ut in March 2011.

Frightening!

http://ec.europa.eu/...cfm?rep_id=2708

Read section 5.3!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users