skredsfan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 69 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Grilling, Sports, & Continual Education!

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:09 PM

Can anyone assist me with this? We're currently reaching out to our suppliers to obtain compliance letters and/or information regarding food safe product options. One of the suppliers that we reached out to was a video jet equipment/ink supplier. We're a paperboard packaging company and we use video jet to print promo codes/etc. on the inside of the carton. Our central stores/purchasing representative had this to say (See Below) after communicating with this particular supplier. Basically what this supplier is saying is that we can't simply purchase food grade inks for this system and convert it. They said we would have to completely purchase a new piece of equipment which I find extremely difficult to believe. Why couldn't this system be flushed out with a cleaner and then converted? Thanks as always for your help!

Good News/Bad News

GOOD NEWS

ID Technology

They do sell food grade Ink/Makeup/Solvents that would* work in our current printers

Videojet

They do sell food grade Ink/Makeup/Solvents but they won’t* work in our current printers

BAD NEWS

*They both have stated the same Mantra.  The FDA will not give Food Grade Certification if the equipment being used has run Non-Food Grade Inks/Makeup prior.  In order to get certification they must be new (not purged) printers.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:57 PM

Can anyone assist me with this? We're currently reaching out to our suppliers to obtain compliance letters and/or information regarding food safe product options. One of the suppliers that we reached out to was a video jet equipment/ink supplier. We're a paperboard packaging company and we use video jet to print promo codes/etc. on the inside of the carton. Our central stores/purchasing representative had this to say (See Below) after communicating with this particular supplier. Basically what this supplier is saying is that we can't simply purchase food grade inks for this system and convert it. They said we would have to completely purchase a new piece of equipment which I find extremely difficult to believe. Why couldn't this system be flushed out with a cleaner and then converted? Thanks as always for your help!

Good News/Bad News

GOOD NEWS

ID Technology

They do sell food grade Ink/Makeup/Solvents that would* work in our current printers

Videojet

They do sell food grade Ink/Makeup/Solvents but they won’t* work in our current printers

BAD NEWS

*They both have stated the same Mantra.  The FDA will not give Food Grade Certification if the equipment being used has run Non-Food Grade Inks/Makeup prior.  In order to get certification they must be new (not purged) printers.

Dear skredsfan,

Not my knowledge base but you are clearly venturing into a murky area, legal-wise. Seemingly various shades of grey exist. It looks relevant  as to the exact status of ink regarding  direct / indirect contact.

The obvious suggestion  IMO is to simply ask yr suppliers the reference validation for their comment about ink change-over.

The primary reference is apparently 21CFR 170-189. This is not seemingly available on-line except as part-by-part.

( http://www.accessdat...r/cfrsearch.cfm )

You may find the attachments / link below interesting but they do not unfortunately answer yr specific FDA query.

Hopefully someone else here knows the practical FDA situation.

http://www.flairpack...01/Ink Safety/2

Attached File  ss1 - Printing ink, global regs 2006.pdf   142.04KB   39 downloads

Attached File  ss2 - Printing inks, USA, FAQ - NAPIM.pdf   156.29KB   35 downloads

Attached File  ss3 - printing inks USA, 1990, FDA Compliance Myths.pdf   717.29KB   39 downloads

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 3 Members:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:28 AM

The only way to validate this is by conducting migration tests on product that has been produced on the purged system.  Maybe the ink jet people have already done this and proven that they cannot get the system fully clean.  Seems a bit doubtful though.

Regards,

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:14 PM

Dear skredsfan,

After  the presentation on US Packaging Regs and the comments in other thread, (eg no.2 in

http://www.ifsqn.com.../#entry62610 )

one gets a feeling that someone may have been "having you on" a little ?.

Back to validation request perhaps ?

Rds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users