• IFSQN Associate
  • 43 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:23 AM

Hi

I am new to this forum and was wondering if anyone could help me with my HACCP?

i have been told that in the process of making a mint which is purely sugar and mint oil that there would be a risk of yeasts and moulds growth from the air in the environment. i dont know whether i agree?

can anyone help with this please?

many thanks

Whitney

SUSHIL

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 162 posts
  • 225 thanks
Good

• India
    India

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:53 PM

Hello Whitney,

Breath Mints or Mint lozenges or Mint tablets contains very low moisture content and is unable to support  yeasts and mold.Sugar content is very high and Mint is compressed  in solid form in tabletting machine.Only precaution from spoilage is Humidity in air .sugar being hygroscopic easily absorbs moisture from air and spoils .

Hence you should take care of your factory environment regarding humidity and packing of mints should be done in moisture proof packs.

Regards

Sushil

Thanked by 1 Member:

Mesha

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 71 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:14 AM

Hi Whitney,

I agree with Sushil. Losenzes, Candies & Tablets are formulations with very low water activity and high sugar content (it self a preservative) , do not support microbiological growth. A proper control on temperature & humidity conditions in your manufacturing area are the factors neede to be taken care of to prevent such contamination.

Regards,

Thanked by 1 Member:

Whitney

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 43 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:08 AM

Thanks for the information!

The parts of the process where i have been told yeasts and mould would be problem are at times when the mints are open (with air and moisture able to get to them) for example, when they are being loaded into tubs manually using a bucket from a dumoulin to a tray or when they are being stored in slatted trays waiting to be packed.

Do you agree?

Many thanks

Whitney

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

HI Whitney

I would hazard a guess, that once the mint was complete, that there was little chance of contamination for there very reasons above, low aW  and (by now a solid) high sugar content.

Only you can do the justification, as long as you can back it up with science, journals, historic micro data, environmental monitoring data etc.

Cazx

Thanked by 1 Member:

Oldairyman

Grade - AIFSQN

• 38 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Banjo, Scottish Pipes, Earth Science, Family, SQF Consultant

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:09 AM

I agree with the sound science , others are  not totally correct. Xerophilic molds can thrive at low water activities , high sugar. Hence many liquid sugar silos have UV lights to control mold. Moving air, lights, and filtration helps. Examples Wallemia Sebi, and Eurotium can be problems with low water, sugar environments. Never say never when you talking about fungi .  

The candy producers, and beverage manufactures can tell you their stories.

Good luck Whitney

Jeff

Thanked by 1 Member:

Mesha

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 71 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

I have got many samples of candies, sugar coated gums manufactured during different climatic conditions (though maintained inside the plant),from ISO 17025 labs for Osmophilic yeast, Total Y & M and some pathogens. The results were reported as under 10 cfu/g or NIL.

I myself am trying hard to relate the theoretical aspects with practical findings! And let me mention, the manufacturing was not done under "PERFECT" conditions.

Regards,

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users