"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:52 AM

Where do people in the United States look for food safety news updates?  Anything from new regulations, laws, proposed laws, best practices, or anything like that. 

As Quality Coordinator my boss wants me to take care of things like that.  She suggested I do Google searches... which I don't think is really the best way to approach the general stream of things but I also don't know of good sites to look for those things either.

We don't ship out of the United States so I don't need anything that covers Europe, Canada, Mexico, etc.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Merle

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:59 AM

Hi Merle

Well you've obviously got the FDA that you can refer to, very much like our FSA.

The US Gov has a database of legislation which I'm sure is searchable

Foodsafety.gov is also there

I'm sure you know about these though!

Cazx

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:10 AM

Lol well not foodsafety.gov I've only been in this position for a year and most of that time was spent writing policies and procedures for SQF.  So I haven't really done any work on looking for these types of things.  

I do get all of the FDA recalls emailed to me but that's about it.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,252 posts
  • 1301 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:39 AM

Where do people in the United States look for food safety news updates?  Anything from new regulations, laws, proposed laws, best practices, or anything like that. 

As Quality Coordinator my boss wants me to take care of things like that.  She suggested I do Google searches... which I don't think is really the best way to approach the general stream of things but I also don't know of good sites to look for those things either.

We don't ship out of the United States so I don't need anything that covers Europe, Canada, Mexico, etc.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Merle

Hi Merle,

I usually use the FSIS website which has news/regulations&policies/recalls/science & data updates

Regards,

Tony

Marshenko

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 285 posts
  • 108 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:22 PM

I get a lot of stuff emailed directly to me from FSIS/USDA

I check foodsafety.gov on a fairly regular basis.

There's also www.foodsafetynews.com

The Eatocracy blog on CNN.com http://eatocracy.cnn...ws/food-safety/

http://www.meatingplace.com

Our certifying body SAI Global offers up the occasional update

Neogen just started sending out a monthly email update as well

AIB has been doing so for quite a while

Iowa State recently started a program of posting random stories:  http://www.extension...oodsafety/news/

Edited by Marshenko, 13 August 2013 - 03:22 PM.

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:52 PM

Thanks everyone I'll check those sites.  If anyone has any others please feel free to drop them in here also.

Merle

Mr. Incognito

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,622 posts
  • 373 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:10 PM

Actually, that search is what lead me here.  I find there are blogging sites, there are lawyer-based food safety sites, there are the Standard sites, SQF, NSF, etc and there are government sites but this is only site I've found where people involved with food safety at its working level can ask questions. 

Thank you again!

S

-Setanta         

Thanked by 1 Member:

Chris @ Safefood 360°

Associate - AIFSQN

• Corporate Sponsor
  • 104 posts
  • 51 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:41 PM

Hi MerleW,

In addition to many of the above mentioned websites, I also have used http://www.foodhaccp.com/. You might also want to sign up for a few RSS feeds which will provide you with "scientific" updates. A quick google search can lead you to a few sources like http://www.scienceda...nd_agriculture/.

One thing to keep in mind is that if your procedure is going to be that you are going to spend a specific amount of time each day or week checking out websites or reading email alerts, what are you employing to remind you to do so, and how can you prove that a review was carried out? At a minimum, you might want to include "reviewed X, Y, and Z" to your management review agenda and include in the meeting minutes.

-Chris

imadoughguy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 51 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Building Redemptive Relationships, Self Improvement, Cars, Fishing, Home Improvement, Serving Others and Seeing Positively Impacted People in my Wake. :-)

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:14 PM

Good point Chris... You must document when you conduct the review.

There are many ways to do this, we use our FSQMS Software Program (Safefood 360) to accomplish this. It's fast and easy.

How ever you do it, as far as an auditor is concerned, if it's not documented , it's not been done.

Definitely don't rely on "Occasionally Checking Google"... sign up for two or three good newsletters and for sure the FDA FSMA updates and re-call alerts. I glance through the headers, read the articles that relate to my sector, document the review and send to a couple other managers for their review, with documentation of course. :-)

Getting Paid to Learn is Sweet,

Phil

KTD

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 264 posts
  • 95 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:30 PM

Dear MerleW -

I might have missed this in your discussion - are you FDA, USDA, or joint jurisdiction? That will go a long way to determining which sites to follow - all the ones above are good, but you can go into information overload very quickly without some focus...

George @ Safefood 360°

Grade - SIFSQN

• Corporate Sponsor
  • 374 posts
  • 327 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:44 PM

Resources like the following link are also useful

http://paper.li/bmar...ce=subscription

Share this