Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Kuwait
    Kuwait

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:05 PM

My company is planning for ISO22000 implementation but in company almost all from R&D manager to GM  are smokers and its a big task to stop so we need a smoking area hence my question is how far should be the smoking area/zone from production area according to ISO22000.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1364 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:47 PM

I don't think you will find a specific distance specificed in any standard.  Therfore we must use senses and commensense.  If possible place the smoking area where not easily visible to visitors, ensure that the smoke / smell / debris cannot migrate into the factory (whatever the wind direction) and ensure that smoking debris cannot be carried into the factory on shoes.  Ideally get workers to remove hygienic workwear and shoes prior to smoking and have a hygiene barrier after smoking e.g. change back into workwear, handwashing etc.

Regards,

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 1 Member:

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:04 PM

I agree with everything Simon said.

One question as I'm not sure what your particular countries smoking laws are is your planned smoking area inside or outside.

While I would highly suggest it be outside if it is inside I  suggest the room having it's own ventilation pushing the air outside with negative ventilation that sucks air into the room when the door is open, regular cleaning no less than once a shift, and some type of boot cleaning procedure if they are not changing their boots for when they exit.

If it's outside I'd make sure it's no less than 50-100' (15.25 - 30.50 meters) from the door and downwind as Simon said.  That gives some room for people to get past it without walking through it. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1364 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:16 PM

I hadn't even considered inside Merle as in the UK it's not allowed.

The advice I gave was based on an outside smoking shelter.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

George @ Safefood 360°

Grade - SIFSQN

• Corporate Sponsor
  • 374 posts
  • 327 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:33 PM

In general you are best to go with an outside smoking area/facility. In terms of distance it should be as far as possible and hidden from visitors etc entering the premises i.e avoid locating it at the front gate. Some guidelines:

1. Smoking areas must comply with in country legislation.

2. Maintained in a clean condition and have bins for the butts to prevent transfer into the factory on soles of shoes.

3. Provide rough mats at doors in the event that butts are carried underfoot

4. No butts can be disposed of on the floor, hence the use of bins

5. Ensure clear signage plant wide indicating the site policy

6. Ensure PPE change procedure is in place before use of facility

George

Thanked by 2 Members:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:52 AM

Dear All,

Must say this is the first time I hv even heard of the necessity of a smoking policy as such. i always thought it was a negative auto-inclusion within the GMP segment.

Might suggest a few appropriate posters to be visible within a puff-designated area?. Although > Infringement of Freedom of Choice perhaps ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

scppvjune

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Thailand
    Thailand

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:21 AM

I used to see one company named their smoking shelter as "CANCER HOUSE", they said it is kind of reminder to all smokers that smoking can cause cancer!!! :)

Smoking zone should be clearly identified and located in proper areas too. I also used to see another company put smoking shelter near gasoline tank!!!.....it is very dangerous and it seems no smoker would like to smoke at this shelter!!! :)

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users