• Quick Navigation
Photo

Do anyone know How to clean the chocolate transport pipe?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

myocrban

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• China
    China

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:19 AM

Hi all

we have a chocolate product line, but it's not  understand how to clean the choclate transport pipe?

could  tell me the clean method if you know?

thanks very much

mycorban

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:57 PM

In order to help a little more detail would be helpful. Is this pipe stand alone or part of a CIP (clean in place) system? How are you cleaning it now?

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Thanked by 1 Member:

myocrban

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• China
    China

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:29 AM

In order to help a little more detail would be helpful. Is this pipe stand alone or part of a CIP (clean in place) system? How are you cleaning it now?

thanks snookie!

the pipe is between dissolution tank, Iusulation tank and Tempering tank in our factory, No CIP system. we cleaning the pipe by raw  material of chocolate now, but I think  it have no disinfection to control the bacterium.Do you have effection cleaning procdure to control the bacterium?

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:26 PM

Chocolate is not my expertise, but would think you would need to run some time of degreasing and cleaning material such as a chlorinated degreaser cleaner. Some require scrubbing, some do not. Followed by water rinsing and a sanitizer such as a quaternary ammonia. Peracetic acid can be good as well. I don't know what chemical companies are available there but if you have an Ecolab as an option I have found their people to be knowledgeable when I need help. A reputable company that sells to the food industry might be able to help you.

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Thanked by 1 Member:

FLXY

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:04 PM

The Main content in Chocolate is oil and sugar; I think you should use alkaline cleaner from reputable source.

In terms of proper method of cleaning, you have to either build a CIP (clean in place) system to circulate the degreaser and sanitizer, or you have to make sure your equipment and piping could be properly dissembled into pieces then cleaned and sanitized.

Meanwhile your equipment and piping has to be made from high grade stainless steel.

Thanked by 1 Member:

teaks

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 94 posts
  • 33 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:26 PM

Why are you cleaning the pipes?  Are you putting anything through them except chocolate?  Are the pipes pitched to drain back or forward into the tank or tempering unit?  Out of what material are your pipes made? Chocolate piping I've seen is water-jacketed carbon steel -- not water friendly.  Typically dry cleaning methods are used, including pipe squeegees (aka pigs).

Most in the chocolate industry use very little water.  And you don't want any cleaning residue left in the pipes if you can't wash them. No need to add potential bacteria in such a low risk setting.

If, however, you have discovered pathogen/potential pathogen in the line, all of this advice is null and void!

Good luck!

Thanked by 1 Member:

myocrban

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• China
    China

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:56 AM

thanks all!

Cleaning the pipes to comply with the GMP required in china.Nothing through the pipes except chocolate and the stainless pipes is horizontal, so the chocolate in the pipes is not drain back or forward into the tank or tempering unit.

the chocolate piping is water-jacketed carbon steel, the water temperature is 40℃-50℃ in the water-jacketed carbon steel,Not effectively disinfect.

if so,we discovere pathogen/potential pathogen in the line,how to clean and sterilize the pipes?

if someone know how to cleaning the pipe in the other chocolate plant?

please give me a example,thanks!

George @ Safefood 360°

Grade - SIFSQN

• Corporate Sponsor
  • 374 posts
  • 326 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:41 PM

My experience is that water and chocolate are not good friends. Chocolate companies I have worked with do not do much by way of cleaning with water. There may be a chocy expert on the forum who can confirm this? 

G

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:56 PM

I believe the Cadburys salmonella problem a few year's back was put down to a pipe leaking water onto the production line.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

pbaocntp

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Vietnam
    Vietnam

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:03 AM

You can use chemical HS-I of Ecolad that cleaning chocolate pipes.It is a liquid, oxidative CIP product. Designed to penetrate difficult to remove soils such as burnt-on fats, oils, fouling, stubborn coffee and tea stains in heat transfer surfaces, wort kettles and fryers.

Benefits: Pre-treatment  works  on  tough  cooked-on  soils  in  HTST,  UHT, evaporator and other heated applications, easing soil release from the vessel and pipe walls.

The first, you use circle it. After using CIP process normal. My factory have using and it give us best efficiently

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:27 AM

I've come across this problem when designing a chocolate coated ice cream production line. We installed a mobile chocolate tank so that the tank and pipework could be moved to a CIP station to clean (Hot Rinse/Hot Caustic/Rinse/Disinfect) automatically.

Regards,

Tony

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:25 PM

I'm with ksullivan on this one - water is your emeny

At the chocolate factory I work at,  do not have a CIP system.  We manually clean tanks and pipes that contain chocolate + other ingredients.

If you're only putting chocolate in there, you don't need a weekly manual clean- but

make sure you aren't mixing milk / dark - milk chocolate has casein allergen, so if you put dark in the same tank, it will have that allergen.  We keep dedicated tanks for milk and dark. 

Annually we empty the tanks and have a 3rd party come to clean them, though the cost and time vs benefit of this practice has been debated internally.

Simon raised a good point - the water leaking in the jackets is a more serious issue.  We have our system checked for leaks etc quarterly by a 3rd party as well.  If there is water in the chocolate you will know right away, because they hate each other.

I'd be pretty curious to see how often other choco companies clean out their tanks - maybe

Chocolatesmygame or esquef can weigh in? 

Edited by magenta_majors, 08 July 2014 - 12:37 PM.

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:28 PM

(I know you all love me so much :biggrin: )

This is certainly, I believe, the best way to clean a chocolate transport pipe:

https://www.youtube....h?v=FdSORiSaRW8

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

polyman

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 41 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:06 PM

if you dont have a boy to go through the tube its a tough call, they are pretty standard in the chocolate industry

polyman

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 41 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:07 PM

I would also say keep the water away unless you have an extremely effective drying system 

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:47 PM

if you dont have a boy to go through the tube its a tough call, they are pretty standard in the chocolate industry

:yikes:  :doh:  Now we need Magenta's, " Mr. I you be so crazy poster".  Perhaps we could have Simon include it with the new icons that are coming.   

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:16 PM

:yikes:  :doh:  Now we need Magenta's, " Mr. I you be so crazy poster".  Perhaps we could have Simon include it with the new icons that are coming.   

Heck I'm surprised nobody posted that before me... and I'm more surprised I didn't think to post it earlier...  :roflmao:

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:35 PM

Heck I'm surprised nobody posted that before me... and I'm more surprised I didn't think to post it earlier...  :roflmao:

Ahhh...we all have off days....you'll be faster next time... :rofl2:

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Thanked by 1 Member:

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:55 AM

:off_topic:

I'm not trying to make this happen, but -

oh incognito

Let me introduce you to this mental cancer born of the internetz -    http://memegenerator.net/

oh snookie

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:39 AM

gallery_17192_42_10971.jpg

lol I've never made a meme...

Mr. Incognito

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:54 PM

Aw, I'm honored to be part of your first meme.  You should keep a copy in your baby book, hough perhaps we are too old to keep those.

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:14 PM

:off_topic:

I'm not trying to make this happen, but -

Let me introduce you to this mental cancer born of the internetz -    http://memegenerator.net/

I laughed so hard....thank you I needed that......also thank you...I am so honored.  :mwah:

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:27 PM

gallery_17192_42_10971.jpg

lol I've never made a meme...

Aw, I'm honored to be part of your first meme.  You should keep a copy in your baby book, hough perhaps we are too old to keep those.

I laughed so hard....thank you I needed that......also thank you...I am so honored.  :mwah:

Maybe 'get a room' or perhaps your own forum? :eekout:

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:46 PM

Maybe 'get a room' or perhaps your own forum? :eekout:

That I was honored with a magenta meme does not require a that we "get a room" or our own forum.   

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:09 AM

That I was honored with a magenta meme does not require a that we "get a room" or our own forum.   

:oops2: 

No it doesn't, just my poor? sense of humour ;)

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users