Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:19 PM

OK so you ban all personal items and give employees a locker for all their garbage.  So the employee has a personal item locker key and a clothing locker key.  Is it best to give them a company provided key ring.  If so what?  Any ideas or recommendations?  Or maybe an even better solution.

Thanks,

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,791 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:23 PM

Neither.  Use combination locks that way no keys.  I thank you :spoton:  *waits for applause*

Thanked by 3 Members:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:38 PM

Neither.  Use combination locks that way no keys.  I thank you :spoton:  *waits for applause*

Damn you're so clever. :clap:

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Thanked by 1 Member:
GMO

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:06 PM

lol that's a good option.  We had those at my last place.  I've never worked somewhere that you couldn't have your keys in your pocket though.  I always have my work keys on my personal keys... otherwise I'll lose them all.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

I'm with GMO, nothing in pockets, in fact I'd ban pockets!

Caz x

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 November 2013 - 04:43 PM

Pockets banned. :smile:

mehraj.udct

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Kuwait
    Kuwait

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:38 PM

I agree with GMO nothing should be in pocket because we don't wash/sanitize our keys there must be loads of microbes on it shouldn't be allowed in food production area .

SaniS

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Arab Emirates
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:57 PM

In my place staffs are keeping locker keys in their pockets of personnal clothing and uniform/protective clothing is wore above that which has no pockets.

What is the risk if the keys on the pocket as long as they are not touched while inside the production line??

mehraj.udct

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Kuwait
    Kuwait

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:03 AM

SaniS how you will keep watch that they have not touched the keys inside the production line?

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:13 PM

In my place staffs are keeping locker keys in their pockets of personnal clothing and uniform/protective clothing is wore above that which has no pockets.

What is the risk if the keys on the pocket as long as they are not touched while inside the production line??

The thing is if you don't standardize then you lose control.  If I say yes you have pockets then in effect anything can and will go into the pocket, if I say you can bring keys in your pockets then how many keys, what array of key-rings that may present a foreign body risk.  Then you are forever chasing your tail and life is complicated enough for a Quality Manager.

The best way is no pockets in uniforms, give them lockers for all their personal belongings and then have a standard company issued key-ring for their locker key.  Then ensure these are in a secure and accessible place for when needed.  Job done.

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:38 PM

Wow... I've been called a zealot for food safety but you guys make me look like a left leaning American politician.

I've never worked in a place that required everyone have nothing in their pockets.  With the handwashing procedure/GMPs in place we expect that the microbiological load will be low enough on hands and we keep our people busy so they aren't sitting around with their hands in their pockets ;)

It comes down to risk for the product and I think with the big picture issues we deal with having a key in your pocket is really a low level risk.

However if having a key in an operators pocket is your only worry then either your doing something very right or very wrong lol

Edited by MerleW, 12 December 2013 - 03:39 PM.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

coldstorage

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:24 PM

While on the subject of lockers...We have combination locks and have employees keep their keys in the lockers.  Does anyone have a good locker inspection checklist they are willing to share? 

Lanser

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 69 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:30 PM

We have rfid card access to site and process areas so everyone is issued with a card and lanyard, locker keys are attached to that.

Zeeshan

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 499 posts
  • 224 thanks
Excellent

• Pakistan
    Pakistan
  • Interests:QMS, TQM, FSMS, HMS (Halal Management System), IMS (Integrated Management System), Training Programs Management, Performance Management

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:46 AM

The thing is if you don't standardize then you lose control.  If I say yes you have pockets then in effect anything can and will go into the pocket, if I say you can bring keys in your pockets then how many keys, what array of key-rings that may present a foreign body risk.  Then you are forever chasing your tail and life is complicated enough for a Quality Manager.

The best way is no pockets in uniforms, give them lockers for all their personal belongings and then have a standard company issued key-ring for their locker key.  Then ensure these are in a secure and accessible place for when needed.  Job done.

Need to explain or elaborate the most critical step -  the secure and accessible place for keeping key-ring, especially under no-pocket policy!!!

Jim E.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 167 posts
  • 25 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Sports of course.
    Food safety for all things eaten not just what we make.
    Being able to see my kids grow up in healthy environment.

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:02 PM

Key, Keys, Keys, a neccesary evil I am afraid.  Yes keys are allowed and neccesary in the plant.  Not only do some staff have key locks for personnel lockers, but then the sanitation personnel have a key for the chemical room, electricians have keys for all locked electrical rooms, for safety all employees that lock out equipment will have a key for thier lock outs ( this includes maintenance and production employees).  These are just a couple of examples that we have in our plant.  Requirements are in place to control the keys as mentioned above we supply personnel with smocks and or coveralls with no pockets and keys kept in internal pockets or on a lanyard around neck (does have quick release for safety measure).  I do not think you can keep away from them being in the plant.

Your thoughts..... :rock:

Edited by Jim E., 17 December 2013 - 05:18 PM.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:21 PM

Need to explain or elaborate the most critical step -  the secure and accessible place for keeping key-ring, especially under no-pocket policy!!!

Down your socks. :yeahrite:

No seriously in one department where they walk around a lot they are kept in a lockable cupboard hung in numerical order with only the supervisor having a key.  At break time they all go together and get keys handed to them.  It takes one minute out and one minute in. In other departments where they work on one machine then they hang their keys on the shadow board at the machine.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users