• Quick Navigation
Photo

How to implement a food safety programme from nothing?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic
- - - - -

saqibfst

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 58 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Pakistan
    Pakistan

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:21 AM

Hi,

i want to know how to implement the food safety in an any food manufacturing industry. Actually i m working in production in food company and just to gain the theoritical knowledge that how implement the food safety programme in any organisation where nothing practice following .

i want to start from the initial .

thanks

saqib

Thanked by 1 Member:

CFP

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Portugal
    Portugal

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:54 AM

Hello,

I think that better is you study the HACCP, there are many HACCP guides where you can to see the examples.

And you can to search specifically for your industrie.

I hope I have beem helful.

CFP

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:34 PM

I agree with CFP.  HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point) is the basic layer of food safety that you build everything else on.

With a well documented and implemented HACCP program you can be assured that your product should be food safe.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

saqibfst

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 58 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Pakistan
    Pakistan

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:08 AM

thanks CFP & MerleW

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,841 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:42 AM

Some questions for you Saqibfst.

Do you supply your products just in Pakistan or export also? 

Do your customers ask you to work to any particular standards?

What are your products?

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Lanser

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 69 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:15 PM

Installed quite a few safety and quality management systems and the others are right start with HACCP then move on to the pre-req cleaning/sanitation once you have those in place then pick your choice of QM standard and follow it through

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:57 PM

Well... just a point of note.  I'd say if your going to go with a standard I would chose that before you make your prerequisite programs just so that you can be sure that you don't miss anything in your PRPs that the code requires.  Most of the material is pretty much the same code to code but if you miss something then you'll be revising the document again.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,841 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:37 PM

I stumbled across an article on the IFSQN website. It was written for those embarking on a BRC implementation project, but all the same it may help you.

A Simple Ten Step Guide to the BRC Food Safety Standard Requirements

The 10 Fundamental requirements of BRC:

1. Management Commitment and Continuous Improvement Clause 1 – Senior management need to demonstrate commitment to meeting the requirements of the BRC standard by provision of sufficient resources, communication, review and taking actions to improve.

2. Food Safety Plan - Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points Clause 2 – A multi-disciplinary team need to develop a Food Safety Plan based on CODEX HACCP principles that is comprehensive, implemented and maintained. The plan should reference legislation, codes of practice and relevant industry guidelines.

3. Internal Audits Clause 3.5 – There needs to be an effective audit system to verify that the food safety quality management system and relevant procedures cover the requirements of the standard, are effective and complied with.

4. Corrective Action and Preventative Action Clause 3.8 – Procedures need to be in place to investigate, analyse and correct non-conformances critical to product legality, quality and safety.

5. Traceability Clause 3.9 – A system needs to be in place to trace finished products by lot number from raw materials throughout the process to end products and their distribution to the customer. The system should be such that this information can be retrieved within a reasonable timescale.

6. Layout, Product Flow and Segregation Clause 4.3.1 – Facilities and equipment need to be designed, constructed and maintained to prevent contamination of the product and comply with relevant legislation.

7. Housekeeping and Hygiene Clause 4.9 - Housekeeping and cleaning standards need to be maintained to achieve the appropriate hygiene standards and prevent the contamination of product.

8. Handling Requirements for Specific Materials – Materials containing Allergens and Identity Preserved Materials Clause 5.2 – Procedures need to be in place to control specific materials including allergens and identity preserved materials such that product legality, quality and safety is not affected.

9. Control of Operations Clause 6.1 – Procedures need to be in place to verify the effective operation of equipment and processes, in compliance with the food safety plan, so that product legality, quality and safety is assured.

10. Training Clause 7.1 – A system needs to be in place to demonstrate that personnel who can affect product legality, quality and/or safety are competent based on qualifications, training or work experience.

The above guide is not to be taken as a substitute for the BRC Global Standard for Food Safety as Certification cannot be achieved without holding a current copy of the publication.  However, if you can begin to think of the 10 fundamental requirements as a foundation that the more detailed requirements are built upon perhaps then your implementation project will not appear quite so daunting.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users