"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:22 PM

Here is an interesting read.  I think this is a horrible idea and should be stopped immediately.  I mean come on! When you have sweets and your mowing through a package and soon you realize you ate them all (I mean I can't be the only one)... but now it has THC in it.

http://www.npr.org/b...od-safety-rules

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:19 PM

Gotta feel for the people doing the organoleptic studies.  :roflmao:  Actually it would be tough, at least with alcohol you can taste and spit.  :headhurts: What do these guys do?

Edited by Snookie, 03 February 2014 - 04:21 PM.

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:40 PM

I have no idea what you could do... maybe make a certain amount of time before you mix in the THC? ofc knowing how accurate operators can be I'd hate for them to be wrong.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Slab

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 441 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading (history, science fiction), Photography, drawing,food safety, metrology, TQM, hoplology, etc.

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:02 PM

This is a major law suit waiting to happen.  

"To a large extent, we're learning a lot as we go along," says Lewis Koski, the division's chief. "The right thing to do, from a regulatory standpoint, is to make sure we can comprehensively regulate all these businesses and ensure the health and welfare of the citizens of Colorado."

Wrong.  It's a world of dodgy commerce lines and legalities.  Now add a globally controlled substance to that mix.  

Food Safety News  Marine Stewardship Council

"Some people freak out when they see small vertebra in their pasta" ~ Chef John

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:04 PM

Yeah I would hate to work for that company.  The first person who overdoses on the product (or their family) will own all their assets in cash.

It's just someone trying to cash in on a new loophole opening.  And what if they take that across state lines... I don't see anything good coming from this product.

Mr. Incognito

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:07 PM

This needs to follow pharmaceutical regulations more than food regulations.  I actually can see the value of a product like this in a medical application.  For those cancer patients (including kids) this gives a more palatable way to get a substance that can provide genuine help.  Studies have show THC to be more beneficial with less side effects for patients undergoing chemo.  My guess is that there are some toxicity studies somewhere. 

But your right......I wouldn't want to be responsible for operators (if they are the norm for the food industry) when it comes to dosing. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:36 PM

I'd be totally wasted every day.  

Seriously is this for real?

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:19 PM

I'd be totally wasted every day.  

Seriously is this for real?

actually....yes.  NPR is a reputable news source and one our states just legalized marijuana for recreational use as well as for medical use.  When it was legalized it in Colorado they sold out almost immediately and had to start rationing it. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:27 PM

Obviously the reputability of NPR is subject to your own distinction.  I would not say NPR reports completely false things however they lean as far to the left as any republican news organization would lean to the right...  So you always have to read their news knowing what side of the political isle they lean toward.

That being said.  Yes this is real, as Snookie said, and I think it's a really really bad thing.  How long until kids are running around high on THC and overdosing or eating all the cookies in the house... I buy cookies to share not for someone to horde and consume en mas.

Honestly I don't care if they legalize weed... I've never smoked it and I'm not about to.  I don't care if they legalize all drugs.   But putting a drug into a candy is a really bad idea imho.

Mr. Incognito

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:49 PM

Obviously the reputability of NPR is subject to your own distinction.  I would not say NPR reports completely false things however they lean as far to the left as any republican news organization would lean to the right...  So you always have to read their news knowing what side of the political isle they lean toward.

By reputable, I meant they are not the Enquirer or other such type of publication that reports on "aliens amongst us". 

Edited by Snookie, 05 February 2014 - 04:55 PM.

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:57 PM

Yeah just putting the information on NPR out there for people who are not from the USA and may not know anything about it.

Mr. Incognito

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,619 posts
  • 373 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:12 PM

Given that in Colorado, marijuana is not legal for anyone under 21, that you can only buy small amounts (less than 1 oz), and even smaller amounts if you are from out of state, I think the worries of kids gobbling this THC candy like M&Ms seems a bit of an exaggation. Is there a danger, yes.

I can see the RX needs for those with cancer, undergoing other rigorous medical treatments. So I would say that it would be ideally made in labs, so the risks should be less than making it where cookies are made.

Setanta

-Setanta         

RRF

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 29 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:42 PM

Yikes! Colorado has reportedly already pulled in over 1.2 million in sales tax alone since it became legal to purchase on 1/1... Guessing this is just the beginning of whats to come.

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:44 PM

Yeah just putting the information on NPR out there for people who are not from the USA and may not know anything about it.

No offense Merle....then why put it out there in the first place.  This article had no lean left or right.  It simply discussed a challenge.  My apologies if you took offense to the word "reputable" but they are as reputable as the majority of major publications, be it CNN, Fox, Wall Street Journal or any number of publications.  Any reader not from the USA will still "not know anything about it" as the topic is simply too big and there is not enough information supplied.  I understand our nation is challenged by divisive politics, but can we please keep this forum free of it. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:06 PM

I stated a fact about the news organization.  I did not bring my political views onto the forums.  I did bring my views on drugs into the conversation about drugs.

The fact I stated about NPR is well known within our country and I believe that when people read articles from a news organization they should know what is generally known about that news organization within the sphere in which it operates.

Mr. Incognito

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:34 PM

I'm pretty sure when safety/quality officials make decisions on things they read they tend to appreciate having all of the information available.

Mr. Incognito

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users