• IFSQN Senior
  • 412 posts
  • 85 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:09 PM

Hi all,

during an audit I have performed recently at a raw material suppliers site the quality manager (a vetenarian) told me that in hygiene training he is telling that pathogenic Staph aureus is widespread on hairs (every third ??!!). He remembers that he has taken the information from literature some years ago, but unfortunately he could not find them. My search was also withut success.

We could reduce complaints of hairs found in our products (bakery), but there are still several we are obvious not able to eleminate even we have introduced several measures. 

In my risk assessment today I have not focussed on Staph aureus in the case of hair contamination. Now I am trying to verify the aove mentioned information. Can somebody assist? Tanks in advance.

Rgds

moskito

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:27 AM

Hello Moskito,

I found these:

not really scientific, but found on site of FSA: http://archive.food....lish/part4.html

In the FDA Bad bug Book issue 2, 2012, I found this passage on Staph. Aureus on hairs. You can download the book for free.

...Staphylococci are present in the nasal passages and throats and on the hair and skin of 50% or more of healthy individuals. The incidence is even higher among those who associate with sick people and hospital environments. Contamination may be introduced into foods by direct contact with workers with hand or arm lesions caused by S. aureus, or by coughing and sneezing, which is common during respiratory infections. Food handlers are frequently the source of food contamination in staphylococcal outbreaks...

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

Cheza0021

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:32 PM

Moskito

I haven't heard it been addressed like that before, but if it's 1in3, it might as well be all three. I dug up some micro info (K-State, FDSCI 307, Applied Microbiology in Meat/Poultry).

Attached Files

Thanked by 1 Member:

George @ Safefood 360°

Grade - SIFSQN

• Corporate Sponsor
  • 374 posts
  • 327 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:54 AM

We can say for sure it has been isolated from human skin and the prevalence is high in the general population. The following data sheet contains some good information on this pathogen. Does not specifically state hair as a source. However it is certain that skin from the scalp would be a source and therefore hair would need to be included. 

George

Attached Files

Thanked by 2 Members:

moskito

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 412 posts
  • 85 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:52 PM