• Quick Navigation
Photo

Heavy Metal testing requirements for ISO 22000?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic
- - - - -

ncwingnut

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 94 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Horses, Boxer dogs, cross stitch, MMORPGs, regulatory affairs stuff...and on and on....

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:37 PM

Good afternoon, all.

I tried doing a search on the forums and didn't find specifically what I am looking for, hence my question.

I am not fully familiar with ISO 22000 (we are SQF Certified), and my question is this -

We had a customer that called us from Costa Rica that stated that their ISO auditor stated they must perform heavy metal testing on food.  

Can anyone tell me if this is a specific ISO requirement?  They are asking for our results and we have never been required to test for heavy metals and we don't test for them.

I'm not talking about metal detection - I'm talking about actual testing of finished product.

Thanks in advance,

Lynn

ncwingnut

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 94 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Horses, Boxer dogs, cross stitch, MMORPGs, regulatory affairs stuff...and on and on....

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:47 PM

I can't seem to edit - to add, I am talking about testing for arsenic, cadmium, etc.  In case I was clear as mud in the post above :)

bnue

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 60 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Badminton, reading, music, & spending quality time with family

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:49 PM

Did the auditor provide specifications for the heavy metals? If yes, please do share.

As far as I know there are no set FDA limits for acceptable limits of heavy metals in all kinds of food items to go by  although some regulations have specified a limit, and the California 65 proposition and Food Chemicals Codex is such a resource for specifications for food grade items.

FDA set standards for candy is 0.1 ppm. Included below are the limits from California Proposition 65 and United States Pharmacopeia, ignore the first two columns which are results of our FP. Use the latest and more sensitive method of testing ICP-MS with LOD<0.1ppm.

Accepted Standards of Heavy Metal Toxicity as per California Proposition 65 daily limits (ppm) are Pb 0.5ppm, As 10 ppm, Cd 4.1 ppm and as per USP for nutritional supplements it is Pb 10 ppm, As 3 ppm, Cd 3 ppm and Hg 3 ppm.  

Edited by bnue, 05 March 2014 - 08:19 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:20 PM

I am wondering if it is a miscommunication.  Testing for heavy metals is quite common in food contact packaging.....but have not heard it done on the food. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Thanked by 1 Member:

ncwingnut

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 94 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:35 PM

Did the auditor provide specifications for the heavy metals? If yes, please do share.

No, they just stated that they needed to be doing testing for heavy metals.  If I do get any further information though, I will share.

I am wondering if it is a miscommunication.  Testing for heavy metals is quite common in food contact packaging.....but have not heard it done on the food. 

That's what I am thinking.  Hopefully we will get more information than what we got, which was that they were being told by their ISO auditor that they were required to test for heavy metals.

I just wanted to see - in the mean time - if there was an actual requirement.  

Thank you both for your help!

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:47 AM

dear lynn,

you can ask or find regulation or standard for your product in costarica.. so you can see what your costumer need clearly..

rgds

AS Nur

ncwingnut

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 94 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:12 AM

dear lynn,

you can ask or find regulation or standard for your product in costarica.. so you can see what your costumer need clearly..

rgds

AS Nur

We have our customer specs.  They do not require this - it's their ISO auditor that is saying that it's required. We don't make finished products - we make food flavoring ingredients (vanilla extract, etc).

Thanks much,

Lynn

HPG

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 99 posts
  • 30 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:02 AM

Good afternoon, all.

I tried doing a search on the forums and didn't find specifically what I am looking for, hence my question.

I am not fully familiar with ISO 22000 (we are SQF Certified), and my question is this -

We had a customer that called us from Costa Rica that stated that their ISO auditor stated they must perform heavy metal testing on food.  

Can anyone tell me if this is a specific ISO requirement?  They are asking for our results and we have never been required to test for heavy metals and we don't test for them.

I'm not talking about metal detection - I'm talking about actual testing of finished product.

Thanks in advance,

Lynn

It depends on the specification of the products. If it's stated, then you must preform heavy metals testing based on risk assessment.

ncwingnut

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 94 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:52 AM

It depends on the specification of the products. If it's stated, then you must preform heavy metals testing based on risk assessment.

I understand this. My question is if it states in the iso code that heavy metal testing is required.

And if so, I would like the quote from the code. Its not an Sqf requirement so we are trying to figure out why iso 22000 would require it if its the equvalent of sqf/gfsi.

The customer is stating their auditor says they have to perform the testing according to iso code, not their haccp plan.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,252 posts
  • 1301 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:41 AM

I understand this. My question is if it states in the iso code that heavy metal testing is required.

And if so, I would like the quote from the code. Its not an Sqf requirement so we are trying to figure out why iso 22000 would require it if its the equvalent of sqf/gfsi.

The customer is stating their auditor says they have to perform the testing according to iso code, not their haccp plan.

Hi Lynn,

ISO 22000 is generic and certainly does not specify heavy metal testing is required.

There are a couple of relevant sections, 7.2 Prerequisite Programmes and 7.3.3.2 Characteristics of end products. Here are a couple of extracts:

7.2 Prerequisite programmes (PRPs)
7.2.1 The organization shall establish, implement and maintain PRP(s) to assist in controlling:
b) biological, chemical and physical contamination of the product(s)
7.2.3 When selecting and/or establishing PRP(s), the organization shall consider and utilize appropriate information [e.g. statutory and regulatory requirements, customer requirements, recognized guidelines, Codex Alimentarius Commission (Codex) principles and codes of practices, national, international or sector standards].
7.3.3.2 Characteristics of end products
The characteristics of end products shall be described in documents to the extent needed to conduct the hazard analysis
The organization shall identify statutory and regulatory food safety requirements related to the above.

Whether you should test for heavy metals would depend on customer, regulatory and statutory requirements. I would also consider industry codes of practice and any relevant CODEX guidelines.

If your product specification includes defined levels or absence of heavy metals then your customer would be entitled for you to demonstrate that you meet the levels you have specified.

Regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

ncwingnut

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 94 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:31 AM

Tony, Thank you!!  That is exactly what I was looking for.

We have not yet heard back from the customer, so this helps in the mean time.

thanks again!

Lynn

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:37 PM

Just as a point of information... it is required to test for Heavy Metals in Fish and Shellfish processing

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users