Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:44 AM

Has anyone got an example or ideas for what should be included in a comprehensive wood policy.

Thanks.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:24 AM

Here's my policy that covers everything wooden : No Wood on the production floor (That rule and good lighting keeps the interoffice relationship rate down).  Wooden pallets stay in low risk/hygiene areas and are inspected for damage, but never brought into the floor.

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

Shyguy77

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 120 posts
  • 62 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:34 AM

Our wood policy states

1.) Wood is not allowed in the production area
2.) All attempts should be made to purchase non-wood materials
3.) A list is composed of all wooden tools/equipment in the facility and inspected frequently

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:21 AM

That rule and good lighting keeps the interoffice relationship rate down

LMAO in my experience it's usually QA's and engineers who form a "close working " partnership!

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,599 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:13 PM

LOL! ^^^^^

That kind of chuckle is the way to start a day!  Thanks!  I'm loathe to say it but I think there needs to be a 'rim shot' emoticon.

Ba-dum bum!

Setanta 

And also a weeping angel one.  hint hint!

Seriously here is part of our Wood Policy.

1. Wood-Wood pallets used in food handling/contact areas shall be dedicated for that purpose only.
    1. Shall be clean and in good repair.
    2. Part of regular inspections.
    3. Plastic Pallets shall be used in high risk areas. (wet)

-Setanta         

Marshenko

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 284 posts
  • 107 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:56 PM

Objective

In order to ensure proper sanitation and over all cleanliness in a food processing plant, it is important that building materials and items within the facility are easily cleaned and sanitized.  Materials such as wood should be eliminated and/or controlled within the facility.  

Responsibility

The Plant Manager is responsible for monitoring adherence to this program.

Program
  • Any existing areas of the facility constructed with wood will be monitored for cleanliness and condition during the monthly internal audits. 
  • If any areas of wood construction show signs of deterioration or cannot be properly cleaned, repair or replacement should be made with nonporous material suitable for use in a food processing facility.
  • Any new construction within the facility will be with materials easily cleaned.
  • Stainless steel must be used in any equipment or new construction that will have direct contact with food.
  • Wood pallets in good condition will be permitted in facility
  Monitoring

The FSQA Director is responsible for monitoring the wooden construction and implementing repairs with nonporous materials when at all possible.

Thanked by 3 Members:

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:41 PM

LOL! ^^^^^

That kind of chuckle is the way to start a day!  Thanks!  I'm loathe to say it but I think there needs to be a 'rim shot' emoticon.

Ba-dum bum!

Setanta 

And also a weeping angel one.  hint hint!

:roflmao:  :roflmao:  :clap:

I agree this is the way to start the day and we need a weeping angel.... :thumbup:

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:28 PM

So that's a Marilyn, a weeping angel and a rim shot...any more emoticon requests before I go shopping.

By the way thank's for the ideas on the wood policy.

Sorry for derailing the topic. :smile:

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

AL DSOUZA

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India
  • Interests:Food Microbiology, HACCP, Audits of Vendors.

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:47 AM

One more thing on wooden pallets , though restricted to RM areas , they still be on a fumigation program of once every 4-6 weeks in tropics & once every 8 weeks in temperate conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:09 AM

MMM as an after thought, I'd ban wooden spoons too!  :yikes:

CaliforniaFS

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 122 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:24 PM

A part of the Foreign Material Control. Based of PrimusLabs's requirements.

4.0 Wood Foreign Materials

4.1 Where ever possible wood is prohibited from entering facility production, storage, maintenance and other areas where product/packaging maybe at risk. Apart from the issue of wooden splinters, wood is often porous and therefore not hygienic.

4.2 The only allowed wooden item in the production area are wooden pallets located at the end of the production line for stacking of finished product cartons. Rules for handling these pallets includes:-

4.2.1 Must be in good repair, no visible splintering wood.

4.2.2 Must be visible clean, no signs of liquids or powders on them.

4.2.3 Staff who handle food are not usually permitted handle pallets. If for any reason a food handler does have to handle a pallet they  have to wash their hands before going back to handling food.

4.3 Wooden items that are not allowed in production/storage areas, but are found in the facility in other areas and of special concern:-

4.3.1 Wooden handled cleaning implements e.g. brooms, mops, etc.

4.3.2 Wooden handled knives.

4.3.3 Pencils (also a risk due to snapping lead).

4.3.4 Wooden work surfaces e.g. wooden tables, stacks of pallets.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Rosemary4

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 138 posts
  • 44 thanks
Good

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:59 PM

This is our wood policy which has successfully passed BRC audits:

Wood Control

Wood, particularly in the form of pallets, can harbour a variety of hazards which could adversely affect the quality and hygiene of (company name) finished product. To limit the risk of contamination, pallets are checked before entry and storage in the warehouse. Any unfit pallets remain outside for collection as scrap.

Raw materials supplied on wooden pallets are checked as they are off loaded and are then stored in the warehouse until required by production. The rolls of film are stripped of their transit packaging and transferred onto plastic pallets before entering the production area, to reduce the risk of contamination.

Finished goods are protected from potential pallet contamination by the use of blue plastic pallet sheets inserted between the pallet and the first layer of cartons. All completed pallets are completely wrapped in plastic wrap before leaving the production area.

Pallets should not be raised above waist level.

After handling pallets, personnel must  wash their hands before handling finished goods.

Thanked by 2 Members:

Sarahb3339

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 94 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 01 November 2021 - 03:53 PM

Setanta, 

You stated: 

1. Wood-Wood pallets used in food handling/contact areas shall be dedicated for that purpose only. 

​Can you clarify what that means?  I know that this is directly stated in the SQF code.  We are SQF for dietary supplements.  If we have product come in on wooden pallets that are in good condition (basically new) and we do some sort of pallet inspection before they are released into the production room would that be suffice?  Maybe we could add a pallet checklist on the production batch sheet that says we are checking the pallets prior to entering the production room?

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users