- - - - -

Aysegul

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 29 December 2005 - 02:43 PM

I need information about HACCP studies on the production of ready to drink plastic paper cups.

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 29 December 2005 - 05:01 PM

I take it that you mean "ready-to-use coated paper cups". Personally, I would like to think that this would fall under BRC-IOP category as it does fulfill the meaning of packaging but on a ready to use basis.

From a risk assessment point of view, I see a remote possibility of a physical hazard risk occuring but perhaps bacteria from poor handling or cross contamination opportunities while chemical hazard is another possibility from non-food grade coatings.

From the viewpoint of an effective GMP in placed and a sound suppliers' assurance program, IMO, the HACCP Plan should really have no CCPs at all.

* I am about to start a HACCP Program on the production of "cologne-infused paper towels" and I am just beginning to wonder if the cologne is a factor that I should consider seriously as a chemical hazard or place on the label "Not Meant For Consumption" :thumbup: or "Do Not Insert Into Mouth" :beer:

What do you guys think?

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Aysegul

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 29 December 2005 - 05:50 PM

I take it that you mean "ready-to-use coated paper cups". Personally, I would like to think that this would fall under BRC-IOP category as it does fulfill the meaning of packaging but on a ready to use basis.

From a risk assessment point of view, I see a remote possibility of a physical hazard risk occuring but perhaps bacteria from poor handling or cross contamination opportunities while chemical hazard is another possibility from non-food grade coatings.

From the viewpoint of an effective GMP in placed and a sound suppliers' assurance program, IMO, the HACCP Plan should really have no CCPs at all.

* I am about to start a HACCP Program on the production of "cologne-infused paper towels" and I am just beginning to wonder if the cologne is a factor that I should consider seriously as a chemical hazard or place on the label "Not Meant For Consumption" :thumbup: or "Do Not Insert Into Mouth" :beer:

What do you guys think?

Thank you for your information related with my question. Can I learn the complete name of IMO.

Regarding to your question, from my point of view, Chemical hazard can be risk why? You know Alchol should be Ethyl Alcohol, if instead of ethyl alchol, methyl alcohol can be used, it will cause vital effect on human. Of course producer will assure to use Ethyl alcohol, but it can be sabotage that can be done workers ( who knows ) so it is good approach to write warnings as you indicated, it can be preventive action at consumer point for this probability also. On the other hand dosage of ethyl alcohol can be important to monitor for possible chemical risk. Effects of excess amount of dosage on infused paper towels should be evaluated.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 29 December 2005 - 07:37 PM

Aysegul I agree with Charles that drinking cups should be considered the same as direct food contact packaging (category B supplier in BRC/IOP Standard). Again I agree with Charles there are unlikely to be any CCP's identified and all hazards should be covered by the GMP system. There are some relevant documents and a HACCP study for packaging at the link below:

Packaging HACCP Documents

BTW IMO means 'In My Opinion' and BTW means 'By The Way'. :bye:

Simon

I am about to start a HACCP Program on the production of "cologne-infused paper towels" and I am just beginning to wonder if the cologne is a factor that I should consider seriously as a chemical hazard or place on the label "Not Meant For Consumption" :thumbup: or "Do Not Insert Into Mouth" :beer:

What do you guys think?

Well they're not a food stuff and not for wrapping food so...Are you serious Charles?

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 29 December 2005 - 11:55 PM

Well they're not a food stuff and not for wrapping food so...Are you serious Charles?

Absolutely serious.

Consider human behavior of sometimes using paper towel as a mouth wipe instead of just a hand wipe but then again its part of "disposables" that are provided on the table........over in asia at least.

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users