Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 17 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:49 PM

Hi!  So really new here and we are working toward being SQF certified by the end of this year.  We manufacture frozen dough products.  I have been trying to find out some information on temporary employees.  Our facility uses temps on both shifts, we have them read and sign a GMP form.  However, we do not do training beyond what they learn on the production floor from other employees and supervisors.  What are we required to train on?  We have a high turnover on temps and I have simply been told we cannot train every temp for hours as the shift starts (which I understand).  Also, do temps need to be treated as guests?  By this I mean do they need to wear smocks and not thier street clothes with aprons over them?  Thanks for any help or insights provided!

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:54 PM

I worked at a SQF certified yogurt plant that had the same temp problem you do.

We treated the temps as regular employees for most instances.  For uniforms we had them wear disposable lab coats and they were required to carry in a clean pair of work boots every day.  They were allowed to leave them in a locker if there were open unassigned ones.

We trained our temps on GMPs and Allergens (we worked with 5 Allergens).  It was about 1 hour worth of training with quizzes they had to pass.  I think I gave them a very little HACCP type training (CCP's etc) but they didn't work with it.  It was more for in case they were asked about them from a customer or an auditor.

Otherwise it was pretty much business as usual.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

AllisonB

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:09 PM

We have the same situation with temps at our facility. Our solution to this was to have an on-site coordinator - this person is responsible for holding an orientation class (usually 2/3 times a week or as needed for new hires) 

We have the temps come in BEFORE the day they are to start. We have an orientation class where the on-site coordinator talks to them about the following:

-food safety

-food security

-food quality

-safety practices

-general GMPs and Basic HACCP (inlcuding general rules/policies what they are to wear and what is expected of them)

-They also go on a tour of the plant so they can see the type of work they will be doing (this helps because it gives people an idea of what they are in store for - and we arent wasting training hours on someone who wont be back after their first day. We seem to have better retention this way)

Hope this helps! Let me know if you'd like to know more about what we do. I developed the program here and could share with you our solution.

We also treat them as employees, not as guests. However I have been told by auditors that facilities that use a large number of temps (especially seasonally) should have contingency for this in their security plan

Thanked by 1 Member:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:16 PM

Training temps is a difficult task, but one that must not and cannot be avoided. Maybe you cannot do all you would do for a permanent staff member over a longer period of time...but the question is what can you do in a short period of time that is effective  Giving your rules is of course a good idea, but also providing an underpinning basic knowledge and understanding of food safety hazards and their role in keeping food safe is critical.

Quite timely the IFSQN have just released a basic online course which could help in your situation:

• Online training module consisting of a 45 minute instructional video followed by a 25 minute exam
  • Suitable for all food handlers providing the fundamental knowledge on food hygiene and safety
  • Can be used as part of new starter induction or as a refresher for all staff as part of an ongoing food safety training program
  • An IFSQN Training Academy Certificate is awarded to all participants on successful completion of the course​

Find out more here >>

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

mruth84

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 21 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:37 PM

I am also trying to establish a temp training program.  I have developed a short (15-20 min) checklist that includes SQF overview, GMP, HACCP, and general facility safety.  After we discuss this checklist, there is a quiz.  I had the idea that if they failed the quiz, we tell them to leave.  However, I was shot down on this by production management. 

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:45 PM

Typically you can just review what they got wrong with them to make sure they understand what they are supposed to know from the training.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Thanked by 1 Member:

ShannonH

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 17 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:42 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.  I think our biggest hurdle is that we are in a rural location.  Because of this our temps come in from over an hour away, so it makes it more difficult to get qualitiy people.  I have started creating a more extensive training which the supervisors will go over at the beginning of every shift.  Also I did contact SQFand am waiting to hear back on what is required by way of uniforms for temps.  So many things to think about that just have not been addressed here.  What have you guys done for uniforms for temps?

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:55 PM

They wore clean not ripped shirt and jeans and we provided a disposable lab coat for them to wear over it.  They had to have clean work boots that they carried in... that was all for us.  You don't have to have anything particularly crazy for their uniforms.

Mr. Incognito

Thanked by 1 Member:

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:23 PM

Training temps is a difficult task, but one that must not and cannot be avoided. Maybe you cannot do all you would do for a permanent staff member over a longer period of time...but the question is what can you do in a short period of time that is effective  Giving your rules is of course a good idea, but also providing an underpinning basic knowledge and understanding of food safety hazards and their role in keeping food safe is critical.

Quite timely the IFSQN have just released a basic online course which could help in your situation:

• Online training module consisting of a 45 minute instructional video followed by a 25 minute exam
  • Suitable for all food handlers providing the fundamental knowledge on food hygiene and safety
  • Can be used as part of new starter induction or as a refresher for all staff as part of an ongoing food safety training program
  • An IFSQN Training Academy Certificate is awarded to all participants on successful completion of the course​

Find out more here >>

OMG, it has the mouse picture!  The horror!

This is a really nice and easy way to train temps!  Most of my temp employees don't speak English very well though, do you have it in Spanish or other languages

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:26 AM

mouse picture?

Mr. Incognito

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users