• 25 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa
  • Interests:Food Safety

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:32 AM

Good afternoon everyone,

I am compiling a training module to explain FSSC22000 to all my clients and while creating a slide for laboratory facilities I got a bit stuck.  I  found in ISO22002-1:2009 5.5 "In-line and on-line test facilities shall be controlled to minimize risk of product contamination".

Please could anyone help me with an accurate definition of in-line and on-line?

SUSHIL

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 162 posts
  • 225 thanks
Good

• India
    India

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:54 PM

Hello sandyH,

On line testing is based on checking quality parameters  like Sample drawing properly using suitable approved utensils and Procedure  (should not contaminate products).

Checking of temperature of product (for hot filling) with suitable thermometer (not glass as it may contaminate product if broken) etc.

Quality Personnel checking metal detector with metal test pieces and forgetting test pieces in Production area  or Production personnel after checking should store test pieces in properly locked cupboard.

Or when carrying out air microbiology of Production area/Swab testing of food contact surfaces proper procedure to be followed .

In line is based on while the product is moving at various stages of processing, filling  capping and coding, labelling etc.  Instruments like coding M/c should not contaminate products from its ink etc

Nowadays there are lot of computerised testing instruments in line like In-line food Analysers,, in motion check weighing systems,X-ray machines, Color scanning/sorting m/c of product (like potato chips) and their rejections. Checking of PET bottles for defects and their rejections. Package leak detection equipment for testing the integrity of the seal of MAP product. Such instruments should not contaminate the products.

Also all laboratories in house must be separated from production and must have restricted access. Microbiology laboratories must not open directly into Production.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users