• IFSQN Member
  • 156 posts
  • 72 thanks
Good

• Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:49 PM

Hello Comrades!!!

Just to see if you have any experience to share in this subject.

We have Temporary Workers agencies doing drug testing in premises. I challenged the QA Manager and Human Resources and their response was "I do not know" or "I did not know" . Those statements by themselves raised a flag in my opinion.

since we are not set up for this type of activities, my questions are (Usually any suspicions or required testing for employment for employees are sent to out source clinic or hospital):

Could this be a cross contamination issue or hazard?

Liability or issues in relation to our food defense plan?

Legality issues?  (Even though every country is different.) In the US there is always legality issues with everything. :giggle:  

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,605 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:53 PM

Your temp agencies are drug testing their employees on your site, is that correct?

Where is this happening? Is this blood or urine or both?  Just having that done in your facility raises many questions with me, also!

-Setanta         

it_rains_inside

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 341 posts
  • 99 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 January 2015 - 09:58 PM

Mouth swabs?

"Peace is the result of retraining your mind to process life as it is, rather than as you think it should be"

-Wayne W. Dyer

Thanked by 1 Member:

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:09 PM

Hi Kellio:

Legality of drug testing would depend on whether or not the people were notified that this was a condition of employment as well as what Puerto Rico requires.  HR SHOULD know about that, and if they don't, they better find out. 

If these workers are employed by the temp agency, then they should not be doing the testing at your site without your permission, IMHO.

If the testing is by urine sample and it is collected in the lavatories or away from production, then it may not be much of an issue.  As with anything, maybe doing a risk assessment is a good idea.  I would hope they are not collecting blood in a location that does not have emergency medical treatment available, people who pass out when blood is drawn may need some expert care.

Martha

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

"Life's like a movie, write your own ending."  The Muppets

Thanked by 1 Member:

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:11 PM

As far as food safety and legality issues would think it would depend on how it is being done.  In my experience the companies I have worked with had a third party handle all testing to prevent bias. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Thanked by 1 Member:

RG3

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 501 posts
  • 169 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them" Albert Einstein

Posted 09 January 2015 - 12:44 AM

It is strange to do this on site especially since they're a temp agency. As far as food safety goes I can relate on the aspect that I've had on site health screening that required phlebotomy, that being said just the Band-Aid. We had to supply the phlebotomist with metal detectable band aids.

Thanked by 1 Member:

freeromios

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 24 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece

Posted 09 January 2015 - 03:00 PM

Is this a food safety related issue? And if yes why?

Thanked by 1 Member:

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 09 January 2015 - 04:32 PM

This is partially a food safety related issue because of the possibility of having urine samples or blood samples being held for a period of time in the facility.  Both those could be the source of microbiological contamination of product in the event of a spill.  Blood is usually collected in glass containers, so that is another source of a hazard.  Urine cups are brittle plastic, another hazard.  If you have a small facility where the collection area will be near the food processing area, it is a problem.

Also the collection allows the biological material to be open to the environment, and urine sampling is a messy procedure.  The outside of the containers are always contaminated.

There are legal ramifications as well, and that was mentioned just to raise that thought process for the person posting the question.  We sometimes go beyond basic food safety and help out with other issues, too.

Martha

Edited by MWidra, 09 January 2015 - 04:33 PM.

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

"Life's like a movie, write your own ending."  The Muppets

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 09 January 2015 - 04:41 PM

Dear freeromios,

Well, possibly depending on the drug, i guess if the result is positive, it's maybe an issue, eg worker safety around machinery / people / food ?

But i would have anticipated that most Plant Managers would simply have denied access until some plausible context / suitable control system was supplied, and maybe not then either.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Kellio

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 156 posts
  • 72 thanks
Good

• Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:17 PM

Mouth swabs?

No Mouth Swabs.

Kellio

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 156 posts
  • 72 thanks
Good

• Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:19 PM

Your temp agencies are drug testing their employees on your site, is that correct?

Where is this happening? Is this blood or urine or both?  Just having that done in your facility raises many questions with me, also!

Yes, It was happening in our bathrooms and they were urine Samples.

Kellio

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 156 posts
  • 72 thanks
Good

• Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:22 PM

Form my point of view yes if we are not properly set up. The potential for cross-contamination it could be big.

Kellio

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 156 posts
  • 72 thanks
Good

• Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:25 PM

Hi Kellio:

Legality of drug testing would depend on whether or not the people were notified that this was a condition of employment as well as what Puerto Rico requires.  HR SHOULD know about that, and if they don't, they better find out. 

If these workers are employed by the temp agency, then they should not be doing the testing at your site without your permission, IMHO.

If the testing is by urine sample and it is collected in the lavatories or away from production, then it may not be much of an issue.  As with anything, maybe doing a risk assessment is a good idea.  I would hope they are not collecting blood in a location that does not have emergency medical treatment available, people who pass out when blood is drawn may need some expert care.

Martha

That was my gut feeling that agencies should do their own.  HR support was not a support.

Edited by Kellio, 26 January 2015 - 06:09 PM.

Kellio

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 156 posts
  • 72 thanks
Good

• Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:27 PM

Thank you for your comments. I could not review your comments right away due to SQF is coming to us in few weeks.

Kellio

Urban Explorer

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 86 posts
  • 51 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:41 AM

Each state in the US has different rules for who can be tested and when they can be. Pre-employment is at the discretion of the company, random testing is usually not common these days (at least here in CT) and can only be done with reasonable suspicion and/or after an accident.

The temp agency did mouth swabs on site prior to new temps starting that day. They are good from (I believe) 2-48 hours after taking common drugs. Urine is up to 14 days. I'm very surprised the agency was doing that on premise. Regardless of food safety and biological hazards, the legality of that could bring about a lawsuit. Only licensed third party facilities should be doing that as there is HUGE room for error or contamination. Mouth swabs are pulled from a sealed package and done in front of you.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SQF, BRC, FSSC 22000, IFS, Food Defense

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users