• IFSQN Associate
  • 34 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 07 January 2015 - 09:17 PM

Hello fellow IFSQN-(ers) :D

I need some help regarding the microbial limits or typical microbial loads on treated (irradiated) spices and herbs. There doesn't seem to be much regarding acceptable counts for irradiated product assuming of course, the product was not re-contaminated post-treatment. Does anyone here have some expertise on the subject? I'm looking at APC,Y/M, and Coliforms.

Thank you!

p.s. Where does everyone get their emojis from?! ...-->newbie here :/

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:02 PM

QATX12, I would think that the standard for irradiated spices and herbs should be the same as for non-irradiated spices and herbs.  How the material got clean, either by radiation or some other kind of kill step is not important, only the sterility status.

And, once you have made the correct number of posts, you can become a full member and the emoticons magically are activated in the posting area.

Welcome, you've joined a very helpful group who are super people.  Have fun exploring all the topics in the forum.

:welcome:

Martha

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

"Life's like a movie, write your own ending."  The Muppets

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:04 PM

:welcome: !!  I would have to do some research on the micro levels.  But the emoticons can be found when you click on the smiley face between the "A" and the "my Media".  It will give you a drop down at the bottom of the window and above the post button. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 08 January 2015 - 10:21 AM

Dear qatx12,

No idea about standards (or compulsory labelling)

But the result of a good, long, blast of gamma rays should i imagine lead to sterility. And quality changes ?

Rgds / Charles.C

PS if emojis = emoticons (??), one clicks on the menu smiley and then on the subtext under the popup

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:11 PM

Dear qatx12,

No idea about standards (or compulsory labelling)

But the result of a good, long, blast of gamma rays should i imagine lead to sterility. And quality changes ?

Rgds / Charles.C

PS if emojis = emoticons (??), one clicks on the menu smiley and then on the subtext under the popup

The standard for sterility is well established for gamma irradiation, and there are commercial services who perform this.  I would not recommend performing this yourself, it's a lot of radiation to manage.  The regulations are intense, to say the least.  This is from a former radiation safety officer.

As for quality changes, some components/molecules withstand high does radiation very well, and some fall apart.  You would want to either see if someone else has done the work, or test the material yourself before and after irradiation once or twice (or three times for statistics) before making the claim that it is not changed.

The regulations on labeling will depend on the country that you are selling the spices in.

Martha

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

"Life's like a movie, write your own ending."  The Muppets

freeromios

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 24 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece

Posted 09 January 2015 - 03:14 PM

Please take into account the relevant EU legislation if you export to the EU:

http://ec.europa.eu/...on/index_en.htm

Mesha

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 71 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 17 January 2015 - 04:51 AM

Hi QATX12,

Irradiation is a process to remove the microbial contamination from herbs and spices to meet the specifications. Therefore, in my knowledge there is no separately laid out microbial requirements for "irradiated herbs and spices".

However some countries do emphasize on "residual radiation levels" in radiation treated materials.

Regards,

marcowilson

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 04 September 2018 - 08:30 AM

Hello All,

What is the difference between Spices & Herbs?

Edited by marcowilson, 04 September 2018 - 08:39 AM.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:00 PM

spices are generally the seeds/roots of a plant and herbs are generally the leaves/stems of a plant

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

marcowilson

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 10 September 2018 - 05:55 AM

Hello,

I can tell you the difference in between spices and herb. Herb is the leaves of the plant such as rosemary, thyme etc all are herbs. while spices are a non-leaf such as flower, seeds etc. For more information about herb and spices, you can visit this website.

Garam Masala

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users