• IFSQN Associate
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:03 AM

Hello,

I'm currently looking for what part of the 21 CFR applies to manufacturing food packaging.

I have looked and have not found anything specific to the manufacturing of food packaging, only food.

thank you!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:05 AM

Hello,

I'm currently looking for what part of the 21 CFR applies to manufacturing food packaging.

I have looked and have not found anything specific to the manufacturing of food packaging, only food.

thank you!

Dear FunkeC,

I think, as you have already found, that 21 CFR is only directly concerned with food packaging where it's "quality" is related to the manufacturing of food.

http://en.wikipedia....ral_Regulations

http://www.ecfr.gov/...21/21tab_02.tpl

eg in  21 cfr part 110

(iii) Using materials for food containers and food- packaging materials that are safe and suitable, as defined in 130.3(d) of this chapter.

But maybe someone else can demonstrate otherwise ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Slab

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 441 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading (history, science fiction), Photography, drawing,food safety, metrology, TQM, hoplology, etc.

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:35 PM

Hi, FunkeC;

Title 21 is a regulatory beast with nothing unfortunately so easily codified for the manufacture of food packaging. "Food packaging" in itself is quite a broad spectrum of industry applications (cosmetics, pet foods, medicine, etc.).  There are sections of the code which are subsequent to GMPs and GRAS for packaging (109, 178, 181, 182), however this essentially falls under FD&C act chapter IV (21 U.S.C. 321)

Here is sec 409 "food additives" per the above:
Attached File  USCODE-2010-title21-chap9-subchapIV-sec348.pdf   147.56KB   94 downloads

The following excerpt from an FDA regulatory report for notification program of food contact substances is a good definition:

Definitions, History, and Scope

Definitions. Section 201(s) of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FD&C Act) defines a "food additive" as any substance the intended use of which results or may reasonably be expected to result, directly or indirectly, in its becoming a component or otherwise affecting the characteristic of any food (including any substance intended for use in producing, manufacturing, packing, processing, preparing, treating, packaging, transporting, or holding food; and including any source of radiation intended for any such use); if such substance is not generally recognized as safe (GRAS) or sanctioned prior to 1958.[1] Section 409 of the statute defines an FCS as any substance that is intended for use as a component of materials used in manufacturing, packing, packaging, transporting, or holding food if such use of the substance is not intended to have any technical effect in such food. Common types of food contact substances include coatings, plastics, paper, adhesives, as well as colorants, antimicrobials, and antioxidants found in packaging.

Hopefully this helps somewhat.

Edited by Slab, 01 February 2015 - 06:36 PM.

Food Safety News  Marine Stewardship Council

"Some people freak out when they see small vertebra in their pasta" ~ Chef John

Thanked by 2 Members:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:30 AM

Dear Slab,

Good stuff.

Interesting FDA semantic distinction between "components of materials" used in packing vs packaging.? "Verbs"  vs Nouns perhaps ? :smile:

@ Funke -  As illustrated in previous post, the difficulty with yr OP is the scope.

You may get a more meaningful reply(s) if you can narrow yr query, eg what subject area within printing or packaging is of interest, eg how to make a plastic bag, regulations regarding additives in packaging materials / inks, GMP of a carton manufacturing facility, etc

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

FunkeC

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:58 AM

Dear Slab,

Good stuff.
Interesting FDA semantic distinction between "components of materials" used in packing vs packaging.? "Verbs"  vs Nouns perhaps ? :smile:

@ Funke -  As illustrated in previous post, the difficulty with yr OP is the scope.
You may get a more meaningful reply(s) if you can narrow yr query, eg what subject area within printing or packaging is of interest, eg how to make a plastic bag, regulations regarding additives in packaging materials / inkws, GMP of a carton manufacturing facility, etc

Rgds / Charles.C

Thanks Charles, good point. I'm looking for some help regarding the GMPs specifically for printing flexible packaging. ( bag of chips, standup pouches etc) I have some understanding of what those are, but would like something that is written to reference.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:48 AM

Hi Funke, what kind of flexo ink is it...UV, water, solvent, the GMP would be different especially on drying/curing etc.

You may also want to register for this weeks webinar (see top of forum).

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

FunkeC

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:23 AM

Hi Funke, what kind of flexo ink is it...UV, water, solvent, the GMP would be different especially on drying/curing etc.

You may also want to register for this weeks webinar (see top of forum).

We print digitally using HP inks. Where can I find the GMPs you mention? I will be registered! 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users