• Quick Navigation
Photo

Heavy Duty Paper Towels - Certification it is safe to use required?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

JKRed

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 56 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:12 PM

Forgive me if this seems like such an ignorant question, but please keep in mind that I'm merely assisting my company's SQF Practitioner right now until I become "official" myself, which means that the concept of "SQF" wasn't even on my radar until a little over a month ago.

My question has to do with Non-Food Products/Raw Materials we have here at our Gourmet Chocolate-Making Factory that's working toward an SQF Level 2 Certification Audit. Specifically, it's a questions about Heavy Duty Paper Towels.

We use this product to clean various surfaces and to dry various Molds and Utensils. Shouldn't we have some kind of documentation from the Supplier who we purchase this product from (perhaps in the form of a COA and/or LoG) that their Heavy Duty Paper Towels are safe to be used in these ways? 

Sure, on one hand, it might seem "silly" since we'd all naturally assume that they're safe since their sole purpose is to clean things, right? I just was wondering though b/c with all the documentation/paperwork that's required for SQF purposes, I haven't found anything on file to this effect and I'm just wondering if I should try to get that ASAP to "prove" their safe for us to use in this manner.

So, is this a legitimate question OR is it silly and I've lost my mind only 1-2 months into my SQF Baptism By Fire? Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Jeff

Swimming In An Alphabet Soup of SQF Acronyms, Code, & Clauses!

"You do SQF Level 2 because your customers demand it. You do SQF Level 3 for yourselves, because you see the value in improving your systems and extending the philosophy and practices in SQF to other aspects of your business, beyond Food Safety." Anonymous

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:14 PM

Not silly at all and yes you should have documentation that the paper you are using is safe for its intended purpose. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

JKRed

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 56 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:32 PM

Thanks Snookie! So should I also assume that a COA and/or LoG would be sufficient for SQF documentation purposes then?

"You do SQF Level 2 because your customers demand it. You do SQF Level 3 for yourselves, because you see the value in improving your systems and extending the philosophy and practices in SQF to other aspects of your business, beyond Food Safety." Anonymous

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 February 2015 - 08:01 PM

Yes it should just like it would be acceptable for food contact packaging. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

RG3

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 501 posts
  • 169 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them" Albert Einstein

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:48 PM

CoA/LoG good...Risk Assessment better.

Maybe even ATP swab after wiping down to prove there is no risk of cross contamination.

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 February 2015 - 04:57 PM

We requested something like the attached file (and we make high end luxury gourmet *imported* chocolates)

We should have a chocolate taste off :) 

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

JKRed

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 56 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:54 PM

Thanks MM! 

Haha -- a chocolate taste off would be something, huh? 

Maybe post- SQF Certification on my end, but I have to warn you that our Chocolate Covered Pretzels and Sponge Candy are out of this world!

Thanks again.

JKR

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SQF, Non-Food Products, Best Practices, COA, LOG, Documentation, Paperwork, HACCP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users