Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 56 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:40 PM

So, as mentioned, I'm the new Assistant to my company's SQF Practitioner who also happens to be our EHS/FS Director (getting my Certs soon). I'm only a little over 1 month into this whole SQF business as we work toward SQF Level 2 Certification. We are a growing 30-year-old Gourmet Chocolate Manufacturer with about 30-50 employees.

Anyway, I was very surprised this morning when I learned that we DO NOT have a "Pre-Production Checklist" of any kind that we're using on a daily basis before (or at the beginning) of 1st Shift!

So, I was wondering if anyone knows of any FREE TEMPLATES that I could customize and begin to use here as soon as possible. Better yet, perhaps if you're in the same space as me, and working for a similar company, then maybe you could be so kind as to share what you're currently using (I will publicly promise to "owe you one" -- except my next child if my wife and I have another!).

All kidding aside, I don't think I'm wrong to assume that this just seems like basic "Best Practice" whether you're applying for SQF Certification or not and I'd really like to try to implement something like a Checklist that I can walk around with each morning that will be helpful and not just something I'm doing to play the part of SQF Guy, you know?

What I'm getting hung up on (being so new to all of this SQF stuff let alone a role like this one!) is trying to figure out what types of items I should even include on a Daily Checklist like this. I mean, what should be on it that is both "Best Practice" and "SQF Compliant" for a Candy Manufacturer like ours?

As always, thanks in advance for your time and help as it's greatly appreciated!

Jeff

Swimming In An Alphabet Soup of SQF Acronyms, Code, & Clauses!

"You do SQF Level 2 because your customers demand it. You do SQF Level 3 for yourselves, because you see the value in improving your systems and extending the philosophy and practices in SQF to other aspects of your business, beyond Food Safety." Anonymous

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:13 PM

Hi Jeff,

Records tend to be quite specific, some items that you might want to include/consider:

Pre-production                           
Cleaning record available and complete
ATP Swab positive release QA Signature
Allergen Swab positive release QA Signature
Filler clean
Filter intact and in place
Checks on critical brittle items such as gauges and filler guards
Checks guards are working
Product available, batch code and QA pass
Applicable machine checks, seal/sealing head temperature

Applicable production paperwork available

Metal detector (or similar) verification

Production Start
Product QA pass

Time
Batch codes recorded
Correct Packaging
Standard of packaging e.g. color standard
Product temperature (if applicable)
Correct Code
Code legible
Seal check
Weight check

Metal detection pass

Regards,

Tony

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:14 PM

I wouldn't over think it.

Is the line clean?

Are machines set up properly?

Is process paperwork in place?

Is the proper packaging in place and verified?

What do you do if the answers are no?

Marshall

esquef

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 374 posts
  • 235 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:49 PM

I suggest you keep it as simple as possible. Have a column for issues that need to be checked (any broken glass/brittle plastic, equipment cleanliness, equipment functionality, waste from previous shift disposed of, food contact surfaces and utensils cleaned and sanitized, etc. Then  columns for checkmarks: OKAY, NOT OKAY, N/A, and maybe a column for comments.  

Make sure that you have an area/process room identifier, a place for the person filling out the Pre-Op checklist to sign or initial and date, document control info, etc.

Regards,

esquef

Attached Files

Thanked by 2 Members:

JKRed

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 56 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:24 PM

This is all GREAT stuff -- thank you all so much for your input and help (sorry for the delayed response too)!

Jeff

"You do SQF Level 2 because your customers demand it. You do SQF Level 3 for yourselves, because you see the value in improving your systems and extending the philosophy and practices in SQF to other aspects of your business, beyond Food Safety." Anonymous

Jeffrey Ort

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 54 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:30 PM

Your checklist is as SQF code states -
Say basically what you do - line, equipment, utensils, raw materials - if you pre-sanitize at start up, document concentration
Do what you say - perform
Prove it - document
Not knowing your facility and possible history, keep it manageable and defendable.
Auditors are human and should be willing to listen to your defense.

Thanked by 1 Member:

JKRed

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 56 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:56 PM

Jeffrey,

That's great advice -- thank you!

I especially liked your advice to "keep it manageable and defendable" too.

Thanks again.

JKR

OrganicCandyAng

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 39 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 July 2015 - 04:04 PM

I need to have something more formal like this myself. My line operator checks the weigher, metal detector, and inputs to be sure they are all matching and/or in working order. 

Who in your facilities do you have do this? I am a small 'repacker' mostly and I am basically serving as Production and Quality head. The line operator is my only fully Bilingual employee but I already unload a lot on him. Not to mention, when I am not here or out in the mornings, how am I sure it gets done?

I'm sure that the no-brainer here is that I do it when I'm here and the line op is my backup, but if I did all the quality checks I would like to, I'd never get anything besides quality functions completed.

Do many of you build these into your hourly quality checks? (of which my line operator does currently checking seals, lot code matching, etc) Maybe just added checks for the first hour?

OrganicCandyAng

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 39 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 December 2015 - 05:20 PM

We have a very basic re-packaging operation and got hit with not having one on an audit as well. We just don't have a lot of items to check because the same crew that cleans starts up and runs the next day. As well as, the same person who does maintenance runs the line.

So the feedback from the auditor was things like "are employees ready for work, dressed properly, clean, is the line clean.." So I added a check off on the line operators sheet to say three things: Is the line clean from the prior day? Dumpers wearing smocks and gloves? Hair nets on all employees and properly?

Seemed silly for our specific operation but should please auditor next time.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pre-Production Checklist, SQF Level 2, Documents, Forms, Templates, Chocolate Manufacturer, Best Practices, HACCP, Candy Manufacturer, Process Improvement

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users