• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 23 February 2015 - 08:31 PM

Hi Everyone,

On an allergen checklist that we received from one of our suppliers, it states that eggs and mustard are used in products made on the same prodution line as our ingredient; therefore, has a may contain statement.  We don't have egg and mustard in our plant.  Do we have to carry over the may contain statment to our products?

Thanks in advance,

AANNFF

RG3

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 501 posts
  • 169 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them" Albert Einstein

Posted 23 February 2015 - 08:46 PM

I would ask for their risk assessment on allergens and take the necessary action from there.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 24 February 2015 - 01:42 AM

Hi Everyone,

On an allergen checklist that we received from one of our suppliers, it states that eggs and mustard are used in products made on the same prodution line as our ingredient; therefore, has a may contain statement.  We don't have egg and mustard in our plant.  Do we have to carry over the may contain statment to our products?

Thanks in advance,

AANNFF

Dear AANNFF,

I assume yr question is from a QA POV rather than "marketing".

If so, my initial answer would be Yes. Let someone else "share the can".

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:01 AM

Hi AANNFF,

The easiest solution is to declare 'may contain' egg and mustard on the label and lose customers that are allergic to egg and mustard:

Companies may also include a precautionary statement if there is a possibility that a food allergen could be in a food product through cross-contamination. It is recommended that companies identify these possibilities by using "may contain". For example a product that may have been cross-contaminated with peanuts could use a statement that reads, "May contain peanuts".

This is frowned upon by some schemes, for example BRC guidelines state:

'The use of a warning label should be justifiable on the basis of the risk assessment and should not be a substitute for good manufacturing practices.'

As RG3 has said, I would want to see more information from the supplier, risk assessments, details of measures the supplier takes to prevent cross-contamination, levels of each allergen and any tests they have carried out to check for cross-contamination. You do want to know if cross-contamination from this ingredient in your factory is a risk and also you will be in a more informed position and be able to justify (if necessary) the reason for your 'may contain' warning.

It may be that sourcing a supplier of the ingredient 'allergen free' is your best option.

Regards,

Tony

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users