• Quick Navigation
Photo

Security Risk Assessment in Storage and Distribution?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Iceman

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 02 June 2015 - 06:34 AM

Hi All,

Looking for a little help.

I have just had a external audit for re-certification due to the last company we used for external audits not doing the storage and distribution standard any longer.

I have a minor non conformity, and it states "whilst security procedures are in place, a documented security risk assessment was not available" ( because we don't have one)

The question I have is, where the hell do I start, what needs to be included and how do I go about getting this in place.

Would anyone have a template that I could use?

I really do not know where to start with this and would appreciate any help that any of you could give me.

Many thanks in advance.

Tony

Iceman

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:22 AM

Can I please ask why my post was moved to "food safety topics" ?

I am relating to Storage and distribution issue 2, Scope storage and distribution of packaging and associated products, we are purely a wholesaler for packaging materials, surely this is not under food safety ?

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:45 AM

Hi Tony,

I moved it to the food defense and security forum, but have now moved it back following your comment as it relates to BRC Storage and Distribution.

Moving topics and making titles more descriptive is normal day-today admin, but I don't always get it right. :smile:

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Satya Vavilapalli

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 70 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 02 June 2015 - 09:16 AM

Tony,

I do not have any Template, but want to give an idea on how to start this.

You should have security risk assessments to avoid potential risks to the products from contamination or damage.

1) Make a list of areas which shall be assessed, first. according to risk ex: sensitive and restricted areas wrt to your facility

2) Include they clearly marked

3) Include its monitoring, verification, Review and control done at required intervals

I hope some one will point you to template

Regards

Satya

Iceman

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 02 June 2015 - 12:39 PM

Thanks Satya.

Just see if someone is good enough to pop along with a template or at least point me in the right direction to get one :-)

Tony

Irun4fun

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 June 2015 - 01:44 PM

Tony,

Try the USDA food security assessment.  This checklist provides detailed and general security assessment questions, some which may be applicable to your situation, some which may not.  There is a section in this document specifically for storage.

The link to this document is located here:

http://www.fsis.usda...od_Security.pdf

Have a great day!

Mike

Thanked by 2 Members:

Iceman

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 03 June 2015 - 01:59 PM

Hi Mike,

Thanks for that, I will take and look and pick it apart and se what bits I can use. thanks mate

amppyr

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 03 June 2015 - 08:07 PM

Hi Tony,

Check out C-TPAT website at the U.S. Customs Border Service. It has a good description of the risk analysis process, physical, product and people security measures.

It mentions physical requirements of C-TPAT, including driver cages, trailer inspections, controlled access and visitor I.D., etc.

You can do the risk analysis just like any HACCP hazard analysis. Just identify the hazards (ie. seals that can be re-sealed after putting suspect product in the trailer, etc.). 

List all the hazards and list the control measures beside them, like you would when you reference you PRP in the HACCP hazard analysis. Train the employees to identify the hazards and document the risk analysis.

Thanks.

Lance

nd01ken

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 22 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:College Sports, Wood Working, MS Access Databases, Software diddling, Coaching Softball, Basketball, and most of all being a father of 4.

Posted 03 June 2015 - 09:13 PM

It seams to me they are looking for a food defense program. Below is where to download one from the FDA web site. 

http://www.fda.gov/F...s/ucm349888.htm

BigLou21972

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 June 2015 - 09:41 PM

Hi Tony,

The USDA FSIS has always worked well for us as a security/Food Defense risk assesment, and if you want to go a step further like we have, (and we are so glad we did), the FDA Plan Builder works wonders. It basically builds a Food Defese Plan for you. All you have to do is put in the info. 

Enjoy, Lou

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 04 June 2015 - 07:10 AM

Hi Iceman,

It may depend on whether "security" = food defense.

It may depend on whether you are obliged to go fda or USDA.

Did you see this parallel thread -

http://www.ifsqn.com...lan/#entry89398

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Iceman

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 04 June 2015 - 07:56 AM

I think things are getting a bit confusing and that is proberbly my fault :-)

Let me explain from the start.

We are storage and distribution of packaging and associated products. we do not store or transport food. the packaging can be but not nessaserly direct food contact.

We had a BRC audit last week under the storage and distribution issue 2 standard. Clause 4.2.1 states "A risk assessment shall be under taken to identify potential risks to the security of product held on the premises in storage or on vehicles and appropriate controls implemented to reduce the risk"

On the non conformity she has put " while security procedures are in place, a documented risk assessment has not been completed"

This is where I need the help, how to document the risk assessment, layout etc and what sort of things need to be on there.

Does this make more sense ?

Thanks for you help so far everyone

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 04 June 2015 - 08:04 AM

Hi iceman,

I deduce the answer to my second query is No.?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Iceman

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 04 June 2015 - 08:13 AM

Hi iceman,

I deduce the answer to my second query is No.?

Correct

Sam2016

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 03 November 2015 - 06:53 PM

Hi Iceman,

I am new in this forum and I am interested in the BRC certification for storage of food products. we are a warehousing company. All the food products will be already packaged by our customers we will only store and distribute to the customers of our customers.

I am wondering If you can help me by sending me some check lists in order to perform a gap analysis. My biggest concern is the building itself. Do we need to repair all the wholes, do we need to have a sealed floor, ...etc. Please not that we have a pest program but the frequency of the inspections actually is once a month.

Thanks

Sam

seval

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Turkey
    Turkey

Posted 23 March 2016 - 01:15 PM

Hi,

For 4.2.1. item in BRC S&D standart we use a check list form which contains all part of warehouse weekly. By using this form we check in each area

1. Is there any broken/dirty/unappropriate area (for ceiling, wall and floor), hygienic condition of all area and trucks

2. Are pallets appropriate for using (we are using wood pallets so we investigate for damaged/broken pallets)

3.Is there incident about spillage or breakages / any potential risk (containing all bulb, strip light)

4. Is there any indicator for infestation (investigation of baits)

5. Temperature  records of storage area and trucks

6. Non-conforming product handle/area

7. Hygienic condition of protective clothes,laundry area etc.

8. Temperature of receiving materials, temperature of materials in storage area, (for validation of CCP)

when we use this form to identify any potential risk, we record all conformity and non-conformity of our process, after each control if necessary we fill in non-confotmity form. Our auditors accept this form.

Ekivlen

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 57 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 April 2016 - 03:36 PM

I'm not sure of your location since your location setting is set to "earth," but I've utilized the FDA's Food Defense Plan Builder. 

It is an interactive tool designed to walk you through a vulnerability assessment and generates a nicely organized report.

Just a thought.

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Security, risk, assesment, security risk, brc, storage and distribution

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users