• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:31 PM

Hi there, 

We are an edible oil manufacturing company. Certified SQF level 2. We pack oils and do blends of oils. We don't add any additives or flavors or preservatives to our oils. Some of our customers ask for MSDS for the finished products and i'm not sure if it's required or not. Can someone help me with this please?

Thank you

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 09 July 2015 - 02:39 PM

Hi Pia,

I would think that a product specification is sufficient, do you supply one?

Regards,

Tony

ladytygrr

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 203 posts
  • 65 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, cycling, writing, camping, knitting, movies, music, family + pets, trying to play the guitar

Posted 09 July 2015 - 02:56 PM

Hi Pia,

I am working on our company's hazard communication program right at this moment and, directly from OSHA, MSDS' are only REQUIRED for hazardous chemicals. It is noted, however, that a) some companies choose to produce an MSDS even though they aren't manufacturing hazardous chemicals and b) some customers ask for MSDS for every item they have in their plant.

So, from a legal requirement standpoint, if your product is not hazardous, you do not have to provide an MSDS. From a customer service standpoint, you may follow Tony C's advice and provide them with a spec sheet. 

I know user MWidra here on this forum is quite the expert in these matters; she may be able to shine additional light on this, if you so require.

Good luck!

~Emily~

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the darkest of places if you look at it right. -Grateful Dead

pia.ibrahim

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:38 PM

Hi Pia,

I would think that a product specification is sufficient, do you supply one?

Regards,

Tony

Hi Tony, 

Yes we do provide Specification sheets

Thank you

Pia

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 13 July 2015 - 08:08 PM

Hi there, 

We are an edible oil manufacturing company. Certified SQF level 2. We pack oils and do blends of oils. We don't add any additives or flavors or preservatives to our oils. Some of our customers ask for MSDS for the finished products and i'm not sure if it's required or not. Can someone help me with this please?

Thank you

Hello Pia:

This is in response to OSHA regulations, it's not about food safety.

What these people want is a Safety Data Sheet (the new name for the MSDS) treating your vegetable oil as a chemical.  It is a non-hazardous material, but it is a good idea to have one ready for people who want to know more information on the physical properties, etc.  Here is a link to an SDS from Fisher Scientific for a food grade vegetable oil. 

https://www.fishersc...ls-v/S25622.pdf

This gives you an idea of how to approach writing one, but you need to know the source of your oil, if it has been chemically modified, and all of the physical characteristics for it.  Just because it is safe to eat, does not mean than when it is used in a manufacturing setting that it can not cause a hazard.  For example, if it is sprayed as a mist, then it is easier for it to catch fire, or if it spills on the floor, it makes the floor slippery which causes a hazard.  I suggest that if you are not familiar with the hazards of your product, that you find a service to make an SDS for you.

Martha

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

"Life's like a movie, write your own ending."  The Muppets

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 13 July 2015 - 08:16 PM

Hi Pia,

I am working on our company's hazard communication program right at this moment and, directly from OSHA, MSDS' are only REQUIRED for hazardous chemicals. It is noted, however, that a) some companies choose to produce an MSDS even though they aren't manufacturing hazardous chemicals and b) some customers ask for MSDS for every item they have in their plant.

So, from a legal requirement standpoint, if your product is not hazardous, you do not have to provide an MSDS. From a customer service standpoint, you may follow Tony C's advice and provide them with a spec sheet. 

I know user MWidra here on this forum is quite the expert in these matters; she may be able to shine additional light on this, if you so require.

Good luck!

~Emily~

You are absolutely correct, that it is not required, per se, but it is a good idea to have one ready.  The CDC lists vegetable oil mist as having an irritant effect, and it would be easier to ignite, so that information could be put into the "other" area of an SDS.  It would kind of protect Pia in case his customer sprays the oil onto a pan and does not take the proper care to protect their workers.  They could claim that there was no information given that pointed out that hazard to them, so they were not to blame if something happened.

Here's the NIOSH pocket guide listing for vegetable oil mist.

http://www.cdc.gov/n...g/npgd0655.html

Martha

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

"Life's like a movie, write your own ending."  The Muppets

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users