Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:41 PM

We are in the process of implementing a knife and scissor inventory system. Basically, all items will be inventoried and numbered, and then each day knives and scissors will be signed in and out.

How do you deal with missing and unreturned items? Disciplinary actions sure, but on the food safety side, how do you explain to an auditor that we had X number of knives go missing?

Thanks,

clbernard

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 20 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 August 2015 - 02:48 PM

You must explain it with a documented corrective and preventative action.  If the log is used in an effective manner you should be able to determine if the items went missing at the time that employees are still around.  Start with the investigation and ask the employee what happened to the knife or scissors and go from there.  If a blank stare is the response then determine where on the line the item was used and the rationale for whether or not it might be in the product.  If potentially in the product; product goes on hold and the investigation goes into a physical inspection of the product.  Preventative actions could include education, discipline, termination, perhaps a system implemented whereby the item is needed in order to clock out with some sort of bar code and/or limiting the number of items needed on the floor by changing the process.  The sky and budgets are the limit here.  

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:45 PM

We are in the process of implementing a knife and scissor inventory system. Basically, all items will be inventoried and numbered, and then each day knives and scissors will be signed in and out.

How do you deal with missing and unreturned items? Disciplinary actions sure, but on the food safety side, how do you explain to an auditor that we had X number of knives go missing?

Thanks,

Hi asanga,

You have requested a response from a purely FS POV. This might be equally interpreted as "from a consumer's safety POV".

I assume the current control measures to prevent such an event are haccp-categorized as a Prerequisite program.

I anticipate that a typical auditorial query would be as to yr appropriate haccp corrective actions for such an event. Presumably this would, minimally, immediately come within the Validation/Verification aspect of Prerequisites.

I assume that all the materials which are potentially time-associated with the event are known and remain on the premises.

I asssume that the risk that the missing knife is in any of the above materials is "indeterminate".

IMO there are then only 2 options as far as the associated materials are concerned. Reprocess or reject.

The haccp team will obviously need to discuss/document whether the hazard of "lost knives" can continue to be controlled as a Prerequisite or not. And if so, what further controls need to be implemented.

Theoretically (and Financially), it involves elements such as Risk Assessment, Risk Management, etc. > Crisis Management > Management Committment ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,660 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:51 PM

If anything the part to explain will be the CA (corrective action) that would be written right on the form and taken right at the time of sharps collection.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users