• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:10 PM

Colleagues,

Just started working at a new food manufacturing plant. Loving the experience so far.  We are reviewing our supplier approval program. We have a group of suppliers who would essentially be described as "distributors''. They (distributors) buy from a manufacturing plant and then sell to us. e.g a company buys sugar from a manufacturing plant and then sells the sugar to us for our processing operations.

In the supplier Approval Program, how should we go about this issue? Should we require these suppliers to avail us with documents indicating that the manufacturing plants from which they source these materials are either certified (GFSI bench mark) or have a food safety and quality system in place? Anyone kind enough to share a template of their Supplier approval checklist, please?

Thank you for your help.

Mambo 

DN_QAMGR

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 67 posts
  • 37 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:57 PM

Mambo,

I'm a BRC Food Packaging Issue 4, I have the same situation. 100% of my supply base are brokers. They are actually willing to share their manufacturer and distribution (2 locations in my area), but neither the manufacturer or distribution facilities will answer any of my information.  

I raised the question to IFSQN a couple months ago and the recommendations is risk analysis the product and procedures they have at the distribution point.

Basically, that is my only support to qualify my supplier(broker) at this point. I developed a risk analysis proving that my pre-requisites will prevent any failures if my distributor/manufacturer fail. I then created a Supplier questionnaire, having my supplier answer all the questions for the manufacturer/distributor. Assuming that, what ever they put down in those sections, they are accepting liability.

Lastly, make sure you have proper Liability documents (Letter of Guarantee, MSDS/SDS (if needed), Specifications, COAs and Liability Insurance), which for myself, satisfied my Auditor for BRC.

Hopefully I help, but if no one assist you with Supplier Questionnaire, just know, risk analysis will be your best support.

Let me know if i'm off with the documents I have, but this is the process that has been proven with my BRC Audit. GOOD LUCK 

Attached Files

Thanked by 2 Members:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:55 PM

Colleagues,

Just started working at a new food manufacturing plant. Loving the experience so far.  We are reviewing our supplier approval program. We have a group of suppliers who would essentially be described as "distributors''. They (distributors) buy from a manufacturing plant and then sell to us. e.g a company buys sugar from a manufacturing plant and then sells the sugar to us for our processing operations.

In the supplier Approval Program, how should we go about this issue? Should we require these suppliers to avail us with documents indicating that the manufacturing plants from which they source these materials are either certified (GFSI bench mark) or have a food safety and quality system in place? Anyone kind enough to share a template of their Supplier approval checklist, please?

Thank you for your help.

Mambo 

Hi Mambo,

Are the minimal requirements not stated in the SQF Module ?

You might consider studying the SQF Guidance manual (it's a free download).

I anicipate a fair amount will overlap with previous post for BRC.

PS - Welcome to the Forum ! :welcome:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

mambo

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 01 December 2015 - 08:22 PM

DN-QA MGR & Charles C.

Thank you folks for your insights. Very helpful.

Cheers,

Mambo

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 02 December 2015 - 04:51 AM

Hi Mambo/DN_QAMGR,

I just happened to be looking over this thread again and realized that when making my post 3 I missed DNQ’s comment that working  in Packaging business rather than Food as, I think, is the OP.

The general answer to the SQF/OP context appears to be section 2.4.5 of Code/Guidance.

However for Brokers / SQF, this thread may be of interest –

http://www.ifsqn.com...sqf/#entry55124

DNQ’s attachments look to cover some of the items listed in SQF Guidance but there are various others. How many of those listed are actually expected in SQF Practice I have no idea. A query for the Practitioner perhaps ?.

(BTW I can not see  any mention of Brokers in the auditable part of BRC5 Packaging but maybe I missed it ?.)

For BRC Food, the broker situation is maybe also a bit murky in Practice (?) eg this thread –

http://www.ifsqn.com...ers/#entry95392

PS - there probably is a Questionnaire / template for SQF here somewhere. A search perhaps ? :smile:

Edited by Charles.C, 02 December 2015 - 06:05 AM.
edited

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users