Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 47 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:11 AM

Can an organisation have its manufacture of bi products alone certified for FSSC 22000? There is no separate legal entity and the activity is within the premises of the parent organisation. 

Eg:

A distillery selling Carbon Dioxide to soft drink makers

An oil refinery selling de-oiled cakes

Ehab Nassar

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 137 posts
  • 147 thanks
Excellent

• Egypt
    Egypt

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:10 AM

Dear syju28380 ,

please refer to the below link , it is declaring  the scope of FSSC " Version 6, December 2013 "

http://www.fssc22000...t-version-6.pdf

for carbon dioxide please refer to row 15 and 16 , according to your process you can decide .

for the oiled cakes I think it will be animal feed which is not in the scope of FSSC 22000 as clarified under "Some examples of excluded activities are " in the document .

hopefully this answers you query .

good luck  :spoton:

Thanked by 1 Member:

syju28380

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 47 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:34 AM

Dear Ehab,

Thanks for the reply. 

The latest scope guidance is version 7.1 which I have gone through before I posted this query.

http://www.fssc22000...00-nr-7-1.pdf  

My doubt is not about what shall be the scope of FSSC 22000 certification, but about whether a unit can go for certification only for a part of their activity in their organisation without getting the whole organisation certified.

For the first example of CO2 recovery in the distillery, let us say the distillery has no intention of getting certified for any standard. They sell the CO2 to a beverage manufacturer who insist on FSSC 22000 certification. So can this distillery get their CO2 recovery alone certified without having the rest of the activities in the distillery? In this case there is no separate legal entity for CO2 recovery; but they can demonstrate that it is clearly separate from the distillery. 

For the second eg:, I am sorry about my poor choice; let us say the oil refinery is selling de-oiled cakes to some other company that make snacks for human consumption.  Even in this case, the activity is not a separate legal entity and is part of the oil refinery. 

Regards,

Syju

Ehab Nassar

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 137 posts
  • 147 thanks
Excellent

• Egypt
    Egypt

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:21 AM

Dear Syju ,

OK , yes you can , in the scope of the pre-audit /certificate  questionnaire  you determine your selected scope , e.g. line X facility Y for product C accordingly the audit and certificate will be issued with these data declaring the exact scope ,it is done for ISO 22000 also , but I think this is not fair for the organization , especially when you are dealing with a by-product this means that the main process will be audit to assure that the resulted product , even if it is a by-product , is complaint , this means that you will do efforts more with limited certificate . I prefer if the main processes / facility requires some efforts do it and get full certificate this is better for your quality /food safety  .

for reference please review 

http://www.fssc22000...2-v3.1_2014.pdf

review page 5 and page 6 

Design of the certificate

"scope, expressed in terms of categories, sectors, production processes, products and sites;.............................................................."  

hope this covers your point.

good luck ,

Ehab

syju28380

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 47 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:53 PM

Hi,

This is the reply I have received from FSSC. Can anyone provide more understanding about this? If the organisation is about to demonstrate that the bi-product (CO2 production) is separate, I believe they can go for the FSSC certification for that alone. 

I could see few certificates in the FSSC registry of an activity/bi-product inside a factory premise. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exclusions from the FSSC 22000 scope of certification are in principle not allowed because with FSSC 22000 the process of an organization is certified. It is very difficult to exclude part of a process.

ISO 22003:2013, clause 9.1.1 offers under certain conditions the possibility to exclude products, processes etc from the scope of certification.

9.1.1 The certification body shall use Annex A to define the relevant scope for the organization applying for certification. The certification body shall not exclude activities, processes, products or services from the scope of certification when those activities, processes, products or service can have an influence on the food safety of the end products as defined in the scope of certification. 

ISO 22003:2013, Annex A, NOTE 2, also gives some guidance how to deal with exclusions:

NOTE 2 Relevant activities within the “services” category: for operators in the food chain, there are many different types of services that can be provided or called upon. Some of these services can fall outside the scope of the FSMS. In order to determine which services are within the scope, the following two questions provide a useful filter for determining the relevance to the FSMS:

• Is the organization/service susceptible to introduce a food safety hazard within the food chain?
  • Has the organization/service provider decisive influence and authority on the food related processes? 

If the answer is affirmative to at least one of the two questions above, the service provider and its operators can be considered within the scope.

Considering the above an exclusion is possible and can only be applied when the auditor has assessed the possible exclusion during the audit and has concluded that the excluded proces and/or activity is independent from the certified process and has no negative influence on the certified process and meet the requirement of ISO 22003:2013, clause 9.1.1.

The decision for the exclusion must be clearly justified in the audit report and certification decision.

Considering the above explanation and your request we have to advice you to contact a local FSSC 22000 licensed Certification Body to look at the possibilities of only certifying your carbon dioxide production against FSSC 22000. You can find the licensed Certification bodies on the FSSC 22000 website.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards,

Syju

syju28380

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 47 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 21 January 2016 - 01:05 PM

The examples I found are in India

1. BHARAKAM CARBONIC, (Inside Radico Khaitan Limited ), Bareilly road Rampur-expiry on 23/09/2018
2. Punjab Fusion Private Limited, Ambala, PREMISES OF A.B. GRAIN SPIRIT PRIVATE LIMITED- expiry on 9/09/2017

Syju

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users