• IFSQN Member
  • 53 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:09 AM

Hi all,

I was doing some research about legal iodine limit in the UK and abroad. However, all I could find was TUL (1100mcg), which is not enough, since our products contain more iodine than recommended upper limit. Therefore, we need to mix our product to make it to safe limit..

I was wondering, maybe someone here knows Legal iodine limit worldwide? And if there is any way we can sell our product, which has more iodine than safe limits?

Thank you,

Inga

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 16 February 2016 - 01:22 PM

Hi Inga,

It sounds like you may have a problem in Production.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Inverse

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 53 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 February 2016 - 01:36 PM

Hi Inga,

It sounds like you may have a problem in Production.

Hi Charles,

What do you mean by that?

I am saying that we are blending our product with other one (which doesn't have that much iodine) to make it to safe limit. However, we are looking for new product development, which doesn't include blending.

So I'm wondering maybe someone here knows what is the legal iodine limit for food products? FDA mentions only France, Australia and NZ and doesn't say anything about USA..

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 16 February 2016 - 01:52 PM

Hi Charles,

What do you mean by that?

I am saying that we are blending our product with other one (which doesn't have that much iodine) to make it to safe limit. However, we are looking for new product development, which doesn't include blending.

So I'm wondering maybe someone here knows what is the legal iodine limit for food products? FDA mentions only France, Australia and NZ and doesn't say anything about USA..

Hi Inga,

As per above comment, a Production change seemed  prioritized over blending (I hope you know the s.d. of the average I2 level).

Not my area but I anticipate the limits will relate to the specific "food" ( > maximum daily intakes perhaps).? (perhaps this is incorporated  within the unfamiliar [to me] TUL-mcg unit)

I deduce you are particularly interested in US Limits. Someone here may know that.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

QAGB

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 685 posts
  • 262 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 16 February 2016 - 02:24 PM

Hi Inga,

As per above comment, a Production change seemed  prioritized over blending (I hope you know the s.d. of the average I2 level).

Not my area but I anticipate the limits will relate to the specific "food" ( > maximum daily intakes perhaps).? (perhaps this is incorporated  within the unfamiliar [to me] TUL-mcg unit)

I deduce you are particularly interested in US Limits. Someone here may know that.

Yes, the TUL Inga is talking about is the maximum daily intake. I don't know that there is a specific US limit other than that maximum daily intake (if there is, I haven't been successful in locating it). The upper limit for iodine is 1100 mcg. I'm not even certain what sort of actions would be taken if the product has levels above 1100 mcg.

If there are any people here that deal with seaweed or fish, they may know if there is a global limit. Certain kinds of those products have very high levels of iodine.

QAGB

Thanked by 1 Member:

Inverse

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 53 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 February 2016 - 03:31 PM

Thank you both!

QAGB, 

I wasn't successful either, so I guess they don't have an actual legal limit for iodine (only maximum daily intake). I know that French regulation (CEVA) identified 2,000 as a maximum level of iodine and I was wondering what is happening elsewhere... 

Thank you,

Inga

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users