• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 April 2016 - 11:30 PM

Greetings, 

I work in the storage/distribution industry and have noticed of late that there are a lot of customer requesting documents ranging from Sanitation controls, damage policies etc, Recall plan etc., On an average there is at least 1 such request since March every day. The documents requested are not the same. They all cite FSMA yet, in my review of FSMA there is nothing that talks about documents/programs being need to be shared. It also happens to be the case that the companies are also working towards their GFSI scheme audits. 

It used to be an external (AIB/NSF) audit report in the past, now the request scope has broadened to procedures too that is very varied, which makes it interesting and frustrating at the same time!

In my reading of FSMA as warehouses working with "Unexposed packaged foods" we fit into Modified requirements of PC and need to comply with FSMA's CFR 117 parts etc., To that end, we have been working hard towards that being stronger. 

In my opinion, as a registered facility with FDA, we need to compliant with FSMA on all aspects including making the records available for FDA when the need arises. At the same time, where I am not sure on the need is to share those with other facilities though.

• Could anyone more conversant with that help me where in FSMA it refers to it to such a need ? I think it is indicated in the FSVP supply chain related requirements, but  that does not apply to us. Hence this questions.
  • Has anyone in this group seen that of late ? How is that getting addressed currently ? Increasing I am thinking of documenting a template clarify our compliance to applicable FSMA's parts instead of the documents .... 

Truly appreciate this group's valuable inputs/experience in addressing the requests

Regards, 

Thanked by 1 Member:

JPO

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 133 posts
  • 66 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 April 2016 - 03:25 PM

Welcome to Preventive Controls in Human Foods!

One of the Preventive Controls measures is "Supply-Chain Preventive Controls" programs. 

As a warehouse, you are definitionally part of the supply chain. IF the people using YOUR services determine through THEIR hazard analysis that YOUR facility and functions may pose a significant risk to THEIR product, they need EVIDENCE that you are adequately minimizing those risks. 

How do they know you are receiving materials properly? Checking for sealed incoming shipments? Checking for damage, signs of pests, correct lots and items received, etc.?

How do they know you have a clean and sanitary facility? How do they know you adequately control for allergen hazards (and other separation concerns like kosher, halal, organic, etc.)

How do they know you pick and pull the right stuff?  Make sure the right things go to the right customers in the right quantities? 

Do you do any relabeling for your customers?  That's a processing step, and often regarded as a critical control point.  How do they know you put the right label on the right bag and didn't introduce a hazard like incorrectly declared allergens at this step?

Do you receive in any damaged or returned from customers items?  How are you managing that?  How do they know that your storage of damage prevents cross contact as well as prevents accidental shipment of on hold items?

(and so on).

Everyone is going to have to get WAY more comfortable in dancing WAY closer.  The only way that you can satisfy the requirements of the customer asking how you do all that stuff up there is to provide them with examples of your programs and evidence that you are DOING all that stuff and doing it RIGHT. 

You will be sending out a metric buttload more documentation.  Also, non-conformances in the supply chain will REQUIRE a WRITTEN root cause analysis as well as a 30 day verification of effectiveness report. 

GOOD TIMES AHEAD!!

Thanked by 1 Member:

Kellio

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 156 posts
  • 72 thanks
Good

• Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico

Posted 22 April 2016 - 05:32 PM

I will strongly suggest you consider a BRC and IFS for Logistics Certification. I do not recommend SQF Distribution and Packaging though. This is one is not yet perfected. If I am reading correctly, you are subject to Supplier Approval Program Standard and your customers are making sure you ( supplier or supplier of services)  are in compliance with FSMA and GFSI standards. The 2 standards mentioned will alleviate some of the documentation you will be required to provide.

Unfortunately, the documentation request are going to be more and more.

I hope this helps,

Kellio

MusselsGalore

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 May 2018 - 07:42 PM

I am on the other end of the OP.  I am seeking documentation from 3PL providers such as cold-storage and refrigerated transportation on the road and in the air.  JPO is right about the types of controls we need assurances on -- especially temperature control.  A written agreement is required.  Although no guidance on what that written agreement will look like.  I think if you prepare a folder of documents specifically for the FSMA request it would help in the long run.  

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 May 2018 - 08:37 PM

Agree with the others, this has been a GFSI thing for a long time of having to provide various and different documentation, questionnaires, etc. over and over and will likely be extended to even more people as FSMA dates all finalize.

Prepare a packet of information that people regularly ask for and have it ready to provide to customers, if they request more it's up to you whether to deny them or not. At this point I have a standard set of materials to provide and if a customer asks for more I agree if they're a big deal and don't agree if they are not. Many times people just request things they never look at nor understand int he hopes that a pile of paperwork shows due diligence rather than actually thinking about their supplier program, and they aren't invested in you providing exactly what they want.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

FSQA

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 315 posts
  • 126 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:25 PM

Agree with the others, this has been a GFSI thing for a long time of having to provide various and different documentation, questionnaires, etc. over and over and will likely be extended to even more people as FSMA dates all finalize.

Prepare a packet of information that people regularly ask for and have it ready to provide to customers, if they request more it's up to you whether to deny them or not. At this point I have a standard set of materials to provide and if a customer asks for more I agree if they're a big deal and don't agree if they are not. Many times people just request things they never look at nor understand int he hopes that a pile of paperwork shows due diligence rather than actually thinking about their supplier program, and they aren't invested in you providing exactly what they want.

Completely agree with the above. Prepare a packet and provide it to your customers, when requested.

FFF- Congrats on crossing the 1K post milestone, you and our post have been helpful to me and hopefully many others, keep up the good work   :thumbup:

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FSMA, warehouse, GFSI, document requests

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users