• Quick Navigation
Photo

Will ISO 22000 be more relevant to the Food Service Sector?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic
- - - - -

jamesgibb

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Sports, Eating out, Travel

Posted 17 February 2006 - 06:44 PM

Having been away for a while If I may add another element to the discussion regarding ISO22000,

The BRC systems are very effective (and well gaurded by the regulators) and so I don't think ISO22000 will be of much benefit to the primary food industry.

However the BRC approach is pretty limited in the Hotels and resturant sectors which will also be covered by ISO22000, I can see within the next few years the large tourist firms (such as Thompson's in the UK) holding ISO22000 as a requirment for a hotel.

I think that the majority of the ISO22000 registrations in the next few years will be in this food service sector as this is an area where the BRC have little or no interest and there is no universally accepted standard for food safety within these areas.

Anyone got any comments?

Perhaps a good survey would be:

"would you preferentially select a hotel with ISO22000 ahead of one without for your family holiday?"

"arguing with an auditor is like wrestling with a pig in mud, eventually you realise that the pig enjoys it"

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1364 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 17 February 2006 - 09:19 PM

Hi James,

You make a good point so I've split your post from the other thread to give it more prominence on the forums.

I agree the primary food industry (in the UK) is covered adequately by the BRC Standard(s), but I'm not as sure as you that ISO 22000 will be adopted widely by the Food Service Sector.

I'm sure you know from January 01 2006 EU legislation (852/2004 and 853/2004) requires all EU food businesses to have in place a food safety management system based on the principles of HACCP. This is undoubtedly a big enough leap for most especially micro food businesses.

However with tour operators I think you may have found a niche for ISO 22000. I can certainly see an internationally recognised standard being useful for assuring food safety and customer satisfaction in the many hotels they use throughout the world.

A raft of information on the new Food Hygiene Legislation can be found on the Food Standards Agency website at the following link: http://www.food.gov....ndustry/hygiene

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 18 February 2006 - 12:57 AM

James,

Welcome back. One of the major Hotel Chains in Malaysia was recently certificated to HACCP by a UK CB for its food service outlets and they are now moving towards ISO 22000. Indeed, they have set the standard and is now considering moving to convert their "cruise liner" business to embrace the standard as well. IMO, complexity of process structures and/or the industry types do not matter. ISO 22000 is meant to fit into their food safety level needs which makes this standard very flexible.

I have recently been told of a 2nd party audit by a well known hypermarket chain on a supplier that insisted "metal detector" when it was obvious that it is not necessary. I told the company (not my client) that I suspected the BRC Standard was used as the audit checklist which is a prescriptive standard but sadly wrongly intepreted in application w/o relevance to the industry.

My opinion is ISO 22000 would probably need some time to sink in before the impact is felt.

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1364 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 24 February 2006 - 07:14 AM

Charles what is your feeling at the moment is interest in ISO 22000 'farm to fork' or more towards the fork area?

Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

VANI

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 30 March 2006 - 12:03 PM

HI JAMES,
MY VIEWS OVER UR QUESTION S THAT ITS VERY TRUE THAT THIS STANDARD S DIRECTLY RELATED TO FOOD SAFETY. IT COMPRISES ALL THE POINTS COVERING FROM FIELD TO FORK.
YA BUT THERE R 2 POINTS
1 WILL ALL THE FOOD PROCESSORS BE ABLE TO HAVE FULL CONTROL OVER IT BECAUSE FOOD S THE ITEM WHICH S CULTIVATED, PROCESSED AND CONSUMED AT DIFFERNT PLACES.
2 THIS STANDARD S MADE FROM BASIS OF ISO 9000 AND HACCP, SO IT HAS LOTS OF REPEATATIONS.
THIS STD WILL COVER ALL ASPECTS OF FOOD . U CAN TAKE ANY ONE AND U WIL FIND A CONTROL OVER IT IN THE STD.
VANI

Having been away for a while If I may add another element to the discussion regarding ISO22000,

The BRC systems are very effective (and well gaurded by the regulators) and so I don't think ISO22000 will be of much benefit to the primary food industry.

However the BRC approach is pretty limited in the Hotels and resturant sectors which will also be covered by ISO22000, I can see within the next few years the large tourist firms (such as Thompson's in the UK) holding ISO22000 as a requirment for a hotel.

I think that the majority of the ISO22000 registrations in the next few years will be in this food service sector as this is an area where the BRC have little or no interest and there is no universally accepted standard for food safety within these areas.

Anyone got any comments?

Perhaps a good survey would be:

"would you preferentially select a hotel with ISO22000 ahead of one without for your family holiday?"

ISO 22000 HAVE CONTROL NOT ONLY ON HOTELS BUT ALSO ON CULTIVATION , TRANPORTATION OF FOOD , STORAGE, AND PROCESSING AND PACKAGING SO IT S MUCH WIDER THAN BRC

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1364 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:51 PM

HI JAMES,
ISO 22000 HAVE CONTROL NOT ONLY ON HOTELS BUT ALSO ON CULTIVATION , TRANPORTATION OF FOOD , STORAGE, AND PROCESSING AND PACKAGING SO IT S MUCH WIDER THAN BRC

It may well be, but will ISO 22000 be able to take on the BRC/IFS standards in their own territories e.g. food and packaging production where they are very firmly established esp. in Europe.

Welcome to the forums Vani. :bye:

Simon

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users