• Quick Navigation
Photo

Worker returning after injury with leg brace...what controls required?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

teaks

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 94 posts
  • 34 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 June 2016 - 03:25 PM

Hi There!

We have someone returning to work after a fall that caused a leg injury.  The employee needs to wear a leg/foot brace below the knee.

We are reviewing the brace for personal safety (making sure it is slip resistant), but I want to make sure I consider the food safety risks as well.  

Employees wear a smock over their clothing - we do not have a captive footwear program.  The factory is primarily dry (wet only in sink areas - not in production/packaging areas).

What do I need to consider for this employee regarding food safety?  I am going to assume that the brace is worn outside the trousers.

(While I love to read all of the advice from you wise souls, I am not in a position to change uniform policy or get into a big discussion on that front, so please comment only on the brace situation  :biggrin: )

Many thanks!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 June 2016 - 04:07 PM

Hi There!

We have someone returning to work after a fall that caused a leg injury.  The employee needs to wear a leg/foot brace below the knee.

We are reviewing the brace for personal safety (making sure it is slip resistant), but I want to make sure I consider the food safety risks as well.  

Employees wear a smock over their clothing - we do not have a captive footwear program.  The factory is primarily dry (wet only in sink areas - not in production/packaging areas).

What do I need to consider for this employee regarding food safety?  I am going to assume that the brace is worn outside the trousers.

(While I love to read all of the advice from you wise souls, I am not in a position to change uniform policy or get into a big discussion on that front, so please comment only on the brace situation  :biggrin: )

Many thanks!

Hi ksullivan,

Regret i don't know the answer but this will surely be in the jurisdiction of OSHA ?.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,607 posts
  • 370 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 01 June 2016 - 04:54 PM

I would think it would be acceptable as long as the person still wears slacks and normal shoes and socks.

-Setanta         

ChristinaK

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 195 posts
  • 66 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Art, Games, Gardening, Costuming, Public Health, Composting (with the power of worms!)

Posted 01 June 2016 - 09:02 PM

I would think it would be acceptable as long as the person still wears slacks and normal shoes and socks.

I think so, as well. As long as the brace remains clean from contaminates, it sounds acceptable to me.

-Christina

Spite can be a huge motivator for me to learn almost anything.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 09 June 2016 - 05:39 AM

Hi there,

My question would be what is different about the brace compared to the policy you have for employee's normal clothing?

Kind regards,

Tony

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:44 AM

If you don't have captive footwear I think you already have your answer.

QAGB

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 685 posts
  • 262 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 13 June 2016 - 03:00 PM

Hi KSullivan,

Without knowing too many details on the brace, I imagine it should be ok to wear. We've allowed people to wear knee braces, back braces, and wrist braces. We're a low risk, mostly enclosed operation, so there's not much chance of anything getting into food.

The leg brace is a lower risk than a wrist brace or back brace, since it's worn (hopefully) low enough that it couldn't come in contact with food. You already have employees wearing smocks, so the likelihood of contaminating the brace and the brace then becoming a contamination point is much lower.

QAGB

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users