Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 138 posts
  • 44 thanks
Good

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 June 2016 - 01:54 PM

We have been asked by a potential new customer for a disaster recovery plan. As this isn't required in the Packaging Standard, we don't currently have any policy or procedures. Can anyone point me in the right direction to respond. They need an answer by tomorrow afternoon!

Thanks in anticipation.

yas

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 02 June 2016 - 02:15 PM

Hi Rosemary,

I think they may be looking for a contingency plan - you would need to maintain business continuity in the event of an incident.

Just write a simple statement on where you would manufacture or what you would do if your current site had to close.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 02 June 2016 - 03:15 PM

You can write a bland generic overview, but in reality it is pointless. It must be customer specific and detailed to be of any use. 

Firstly how many SKU’s does your customer purchase?

What finished goods stocks, WIP and Raw Material stocks are held currently and where?

How long would it keep them going if you site closed today? 

Are you part of a group with the same manufacturing capability?

Have you got access to qualified alternative suppliers and raw materials?

Do you have backup artwork stored remotely?

What about tooling?

What about conversion?

What about people?

In order to have a true business continuity for a customer then it takes a lot of work to develop and may cost the customer to hold duplicate tooling or print plates and things that would be needed in an disaster; often that’s where the customer stops pushing and then you end up with a generic plan that has broad ideas and then if it happens we make it up as we go along.

Once you have done for one customer then it is relatively easy to adapt for another.

If your customer has asked other suppliers you could ask to see examples to see exactly what you need to do to satisfy your customer.  They may just be trying to tick a box rather than truly protect their business.

Regards,

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users