• Quick Navigation
Photo

UK Legislation on starting a juice business from home?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

ANA SILVIA

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:22 PM

Hi,

my name is ANA, I am a food scientist and technologist who wants to start a cold pressed juice business at home. I live I the UK, I wonder if you could help me with the regulations and legislation applicable here in the UK. I have found loads of information about having the business in USA, but quite a few for the UK.

please any contribution is more than welcome.

regards

mesophile

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 137 posts
  • 141 thanks
Good

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Twitter @DSi77

Chartered Scientist (CSci)
    Member of IFST (MIFST)
    Avid guitar player, dog walker and fitness trainer.
    I love reading, and learning about new fields in food science and technology.

Posted 20 July 2016 - 08:14 AM

Hi Ana,

Your best bet is to start on the Food Standards Agency website, and download the pack "safer food better business" here [http://www.food.gov....terers-pack.pdf] this will pretty much give you all of the fundementals to starting a food business in the UK.

In terms of legislation you need to consider the UK and European (for the moment) food regulations.

There are lots of summary documents on the Food Standards Agency website about each of the above. I have given links to probably the main ones, however there are others as well.

I would say though that if you are intending of starting a juice business, find an appropriate site and contact your local council for the Environmental Health Department. You can speak to/book a meeting and discuss your exact requirements. The EH will be the people auditing your business so it is best to keep them happy from the start by asking for their advice and recommendations - if you go in with some of the above documents it will make things easier and show that you mean business.

Many thanks,

Simon

Thanked by 3 Members:

BrummyJim

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 329 posts
  • 117 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Motorbike gone now. Only the dog to walk!

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:29 AM

Hi Ana,

It all depends on how much you want to do. There are suppliers of juice in the UK, but they will all be pasteurised, and I'm assuming that by "cold pressed" you are suggesting unpasteurised. I'm not convinced that raw juice is a good move unless pressed on demand.

When you say "at home", do you mean having the equipment at home or just the admin? If the latter, there are some companies in the UK using HPP for juices. I suggest that you find one and work with them to develop your own label. They will know all the ins and outs (ideally BRC certified including the bottling plant), so all you need to do is work with their NPD team to decide your blends, and find a graphic designer for the labels. 

After that it's pure marketing!

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new juice business, cold pressed juices, regulations, UK legislation, home business

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users