• IFSQN Principal
  • 606 posts
  • 194 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 March 2020 - 09:09 PM

Hello all, 

Just curious. Should "safety glasses" (PPE) and or "Prescription glasses" be added to the glass and brittle plastic registry? How do you mange control with 500 employees half of which are seasonal temps? 

Thank you in advance for your opinions. :helpplease:

Safety, 

See these threads: 

https://www.ifsqn.co...plastic-policy/

https://www.ifsqn.co...rk/#entry62753 

Thanked by 1 Member:

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,052 posts
  • 292 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 06 March 2020 - 10:20 PM

Hello all, 

Just curious. Should "safety glasses" (PPE) and or "Prescription glasses" be added to the glass and brittle plastic registry? How do you mange control with 500 employees half of which are seasonal temps? 

Thank you in advance for your opinions. :helpplease:

Safety glasses (PPE) aren't considered brittle plastic. We make all employees wear them. If they wear glasses they have the option of wearing the safety glasses over them or getting special prescription glasses that are also PPE (if employees choose this option, they pay for it).

Thanked by 1 Member:

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,326 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 07 March 2020 - 01:24 AM

Safety glasses (PPE) aren't considered brittle plastic. We make all employees wear them. If they wear glasses they have the option of wearing the safety glasses over them or getting special prescription glasses that are also PPE (if employees choose this option, they pay for it).

Try breaking safety glasses and see what happens...most of the time they have sharp edges which are indeed a hazard.  The real question is how to manage the hazard.  For PPE and any eye wear it would involve employee training to immediately stop the line and notify supervisor or QA to assess risk and go from there.  Almost every time people know when their glasses go missing or are damaged.

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,629 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 07 March 2020 - 01:35 AM

Try breaking safety glasses and see what happens...most of the time they have sharp edges which are indeed a hazard.  The real question is how to manage the hazard.  For PPE and any eye wear it would involve employee training to immediately stop the line and notify supervisor or QA to assess risk and go from there.  Almost every time people know when their glasses go missing or are damaged.

Absolutely correct Ryan - I've watched a couple of safety glasses shatter, sharp edges and all - these have to be on anyone's register and inspected often.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 March 2020 - 07:10 AM

Absolutely correct Ryan - I've watched a couple of safety glasses shatter, sharp edges and all - these have to be on anyone's register and inspected often.

Maybe it relates to cost. I would have thought that "decent" safety glasses should be specified shatter-proof. No ?

eg, perhaps -

Attached File  safety glasses.PNG   86.62KB   0 downloads

Attached File  safety glasses (2).PNG   418.86KB   0 downloads

Edited by Charles.C, 07 March 2020 - 07:24 AM.
added pic

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,052 posts
  • 292 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 07 March 2020 - 02:21 PM

I stand corrected.  :oops2: They say they are supposed to be but that doesn't always mean they are. I might have to have some fun and run some over  :smile:  

Thanked by 1 Member:

SafetyP

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Safety Systems & Quality
    Art, Music and Beach Therapy

Posted 09 March 2020 - 01:32 PM

Hello All, 

I will attempt to do a shatter test to see how durable the "safety glasses" are and determine the risk from the results. 

I appreciate all the feedback! 

Be well.  :spoton:

NorCalNate

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 69 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 April 2022 - 08:07 PM

NorCalNate

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 69 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 April 2022 - 08:11 PM

Thank you all for the comments, greatly appreciated. So even if our overhead lights are either shatter-proof or have the safety tubing in case of shattering, we still have to include all light fixtures on our list, AND need to inspect at minimum monthly? 

One other question is about wooden-handled utensils. We have many utensils with wood handles which I"m now guessing will need to be added to "wood" registry and/or replaced with plastic? If they are not food-contact, can they still be used?

NorCalNate

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 69 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 July 2022 - 06:56 PM

Hello,

Any plastics that area breakable or has tendency to break you can consider it as brittle plastic. That includes wall clock, voltmeter, ampere gauges, dial thermometers and etc.

We done the monitoring daily. Very tedious and it seems over-kill but necessary during audits.

regards,

redfox

But what type of product are you producing? 

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 599 posts
  • 173 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 July 2022 - 05:04 PM

Thank you all for the comments, greatly appreciated. So even if our overhead lights are either shatter-proof or have the safety tubing in case of shattering, we still have to include all light fixtures on our list, AND need to inspect at minimum monthly? 

One other question is about wooden-handled utensils. We have many utensils with wood handles which I"m now guessing will need to be added to "wood" registry and/or replaced with plastic? If they are not food-contact, can they still be used?

All glass and plastic items in your production area should be on the main registry.  If you can defend separating them out into different inspection checklists (daily high risk for buttons and dials on equipment near the production line, vs monthly inspection of a clock hanging far away from production lines), that can help avoid making inspections overly tedious.  Almost every SQF auditor I've had likes to get a copy of the full registry and then make me show them any plastic they find is on the registry.

No plant I've worked at was able to get away with wood handled tools in the production area, not even push brooms.  Wood simply cannot be sanitized to anyone's satisfaction, all tools needed to have plastic or metal handles.

Edited by jfrey123, 19 July 2022 - 05:04 PM.

G M

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 483 posts
  • 94 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 August 2022 - 03:51 PM

After seeing a set go through a dicer, they are definitely brittle.  Personnel training is the only practical way to handle irregularly dispersed items.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users