• 201 posts
  • 37 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Football, Dr Pepper

Posted 29 November 2016 - 09:31 AM

Morning all,

I'm looking at our sampling plan for our products manufactured on site and have been looking around on the FSA website for some kind of black and white clarification about the targets we should be setting oursleves. It all seems a bit vague and doesn't seem to give any answer to what the maximum legal amount of any bacteria should be. With this in mind is it totally down to us to decide what is and isn't acceptable? 0 Listeria in RTE products is a given but as for anything else (e.g. Staph/Bacillus Cereus) do we come up with that ourselves based on our knowledge of the bug? 

For a bit of background the products we send for testing are prepared (peeled, sliced, diced, batoned etc) vegetables and salads, some vac packed, some zip locked. Some are ready to eat and some require further processing by way of either washing or cooking.

Any help would be appreciated.

Andy

On the Ball, City

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 29 November 2016 - 09:49 AM   Best Answer

Hi andy,

UK, RTE micro. guidelines here -

https://www.gov.uk/g...ment-guidelines

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 2 Members:

Andy_Yellows

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 201 posts
  • 37 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 November 2016 - 02:00 PM

Thanks for this Charles, I'll have a proper read trough it when I get some spare time!

On the Ball, City

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 29 November 2016 - 06:56 PM

Thanks for this Charles, I'll have a proper read trough it when I get some spare time!

Hi andy,

Yes, I agree it’s a bit of an eyeful and occasionally wanders around a bit although a genuine goldmine of micro.thoughts/data.

You might find it quicker to scan through its (2000) PHLS predecessor which is IMO more compact (eg the neat product table on Pg 166) but pre-dated the necessity of harmonising with some EC opinions/concepts in their own RTE micro. compilation issued ca 2005.

My guess is that 75% of the numerical content in the PHLS document  is the same/similar but any numerical differences/rankings  in the HPA document will presumably take priority. Pre-Brexit anyway.

Attached File  UK RTE micro guide, PHLS,2000.pdf   138.57KB   71 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

nile

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Fiji
    Fiji

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:17 AM

We have microbiological limits laid down by IFSA for airline catering.

Hope it will of help

Attached File  IFSA 2015 Microbiological guidelines.pdf   894.67KB   69 downloads

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 30 November 2016 - 08:58 AM

We have microbiological limits laid down by IFSA for airline catering.

Hope it will of help

attachicon.gifIFSA 2015 Microbiological guidelines.pdf

Hi nile,

Thks for the extract, the current 4th ed. is available here -

http://www.ifsanet.c...orld_Guidelines

The table shown offhand looks pretty much identical to that in the 3rd edition which is attached -

Attached File  IFSA, 3rd ed,2010.pdf   11.24MB   291 downloads

PS - JFI note that some of the guidelines would be absolute borderline for HPA

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Andy_Yellows

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 201 posts
  • 37 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:50 AM

Hi andy,

Yes, I agree it’s a bit of an eyeful and occasionally wanders around a bit although a genuine goldmine of micro.thoughts/data.

You might find it quicker to scan through its (2000) PHLS predecessor which is IMO more compact (eg the neat product table on Pg 166) but pre-dated the necessity of harmonising with some EC opinions/concepts in their own RTE micro. compilation issued ca 2005.

My guess is that 75% of the numerical content in the PHLS document  is the same/similar but any numerical differences/rankings  in the HPA document will presumably take priority. Pre-Brexit anyway.

attachicon.gifUK RTE micro guide, PHLS,2000.pdf

You're right about the doc being a goldmine of info.

For those who are interested and are having the same issues as me, skipping to "Section 6- Tables" has proved to be really useful!

On the Ball, City

Yvette

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:00 AM

Good day!

Your FDA will surely have microbiological guidelines for different processed products. It includes maximum limits and the acceptance/rejection criteria. If you are exporting it to another country, you might as well check the microbiological guidelines that they require.

Yvette

Andy_Yellows

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 201 posts
  • 37 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:22 AM

Hi Yvette,

Here the FSA do have a published criteria document which was posted on this thread by Charles.C recently. It wasn't something I'd ever found online before so can't say whether other food authorities from other countries have the same but I'd imagine they do.

Andy

On the Ball, City

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:59 PM

Good day!

Your FDA will surely have microbiological guidelines for different processed products. It includes maximum limits and the acceptance/rejection criteria. If you are exporting it to another country, you might as well check the microbiological guidelines that they require.

Yvette

Hi Yvette,

As discussed in several  threads on this Forum, detailed Global info. such as you refer is seemingly not available in a compiled form.

2-3 decades ago FAO did issue such a compilation and i recall an enormous Tabulation was once publicly accessible on an official  European website but afaik no longer available.

The conclusion here was that info. on micro. limits is both detailed and readily available for Certain Countries/Certain Products and the opposite for many other locations. (Afaik the Philippines happens to fall in the former Category).

Additionally IMEX the interpretation/implementation/legal consequences of micro. limits where published can vary enormously with location.

I do agree that the existence of such a Compilation would be of great value.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users