Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:41 PM

I have  a question.  I work at a facility producing frozen dough.  Product is never baked.  Any dough that falls in catch pans or is rejected for quality reasons (size, shape, weight that cannot be reworked- frozen or non-frozen) is picked up and used for animal feed.  Under the new FSMA regs, all I have to do is ensure the bins being used for waste dough is labeled appropriately and color coded to differentiate between waste dough and trash, the invoice should say for Animal Feed, that the bin the company uses to pick up is washed before use?, and training of course.  I don't need to do a hazard analysis or flow chart for the process, do I?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:44 PM

Have you got a HACCP system, if you have I would expect waste and rejects to be on there with reference to the procedures you have in place to prevent dough that is meant for animal feed from inadvertently getting into the human food supply chain.  It should be quiet simple to document it.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

e.rubin

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:47 PM

Simon, do you know about labeling of the animal feed? Would the animal feed have to be labeled with an ascending list of ingredients or could it just be labeled as "animal feed"?

loveforfood

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 44 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 February 2018 - 06:06 PM

I have a similar question, what if the dough is contaminated with Salmonella from the flour? You are managing that hazard with proper labelling (I'm guessing) but is there anything needed to be done with the dough sent for animal feed? can you say that there's a risk and that's it?

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users