• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:46 PM

Greetings,

My name Carolynn  and I am a quality control assistant.    I work in Ontario , canada in a small company doing flavors with essential oils , oleoresins and vanilla.   I have been using this

forum to gain knowledge and familiarity with the HACCP system.    We have just gone through our audit and have a non conformity for not testing the air quality.   Does anyone have a suggestions  on how we

could  do this in house and what we would test for?   

Thank you  

dwells

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 18 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 September 2017 - 01:38 PM

Hello,

I can't say that I know of any in-house air testing methods. But, we have been using a company out of Texas called TRI Air Testing. It's a pretty nice deal where they send you the equipment and the testing supplies and then you mail the testing equipment back into the company. After only a few days, you can see the results on your account on their website. I'd recommend them solely based on the convenience. To be fair though, TRI is the only company that I have used, so I'm not overly versed in the options that are out there. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Non_entitie

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:36 PM

If you're looking for compressed air testing I can second TRI Air Testing.  If on the other hand you're looking for environmental air testing there are various testing apparatus try searching google for "rotary centrifugal air sampler" "active air sampler" or if you're more concerned with price than precision "passive air sampling" which should give you some guidance on using settlement plates.  For what it's worth at my facility we annually test compressed air via TRI Air Testing as mentioned before and sample all production environments semi-weekly using an active air sampler for APC as well as mold.

Hope that helps.

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,660 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:30 PM

We use and recommend TRI Air as well - however they are located in Texas and you being in Canada I would suggest just contacting your local lab.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

bcarballo

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Spain
    Spain

Posted 25 September 2017 - 04:19 PM

Carolynn

In Spain is not compulsary by law to test the air quality but it is being compulsary for sanitary controllers in order to validate the cleanning.

Basically we have two methods. We use a vacuum machine that aspires 1 m3 of air in a petri dish. The medium is prepared for Aerobic bacteria, yeast and fungi. So we use two culture mediums.

The other method is by decantation of air, so the medium is exposed to air at least 10 min.

The result is an indicator of good cleaning practices and can detect any contamination from high parts or ceeling...

I think any lab could help you in that affair.

Good luck,

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 26 September 2017 - 05:55 AM

If you have a look at some other threads "air" threads here, it may likely depend on from whom you are getting the NC ?.

There is a potential for massive over-elaboration in some circumstances.

If you don't have a lab at present, you may be better off out-sourcing. eg one of our sponsors -

http://www.ifsqn.com...race-analytics/

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 684 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 September 2017 - 01:59 PM

I am an Assurance Manager and SQF Practitioner. First, I would look at why it is being requested. What are you using the compressed air for? Does your compressed air come in direct contact with the product as part of the process? Or, is it used for cleaning the equipment? Answer those questions first and the level of testing you'll need to pursue will be much easier to determine. As a packaging manufacturer, we use an in-house method for testing strictly for Yeast and Mold and a compressed air system maintenance on a schedule for particulates that I can explain to you, but if you determine the tests need to be more extensive or frequent, it would be more likely you would need to use an outside testing facility. Hopefully this helps give a starting point.

CAROLYNN

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:49 PM

thanks , the issue is that we dont use compressed air in our processing at all. Their issue is the air quality in the production room.   However , I think we are going to get an outside lab test for particles and mold .  The products we  deal with are pure essential oils and oleoresins which do not lend itself to microbial growth.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 September 2017 - 03:25 AM

thanks , the issue is that we dont use compressed air in our processing at all. Their issue is the air quality in the production room.   However , I think we are going to get an outside lab test for particles and mold .  The products we  deal with are pure essential oils and oleoresins which do not lend itself to microbial growth.

Hi carolynn,

It may depend on the FS Standard/Category but for SQF/previous threads, auditor expectations have varied between a simple air plate count to more detailed (eg iso air standard-type) data.

One seeming SQF "like"  control measure is to install high spec. air filters.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users