• Quick Navigation
Photo

Can Combine Ingredients for FSMA FS Plan ?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

staci mccarvey

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:22 PM

I am new to having to write a HACCP plan all alone, I have always been part of a team. The new FSMA law is very expansive. When writing a food safety plan, if the process is the same but the ingredients differ, do you have to write a plan for each product? Such as, if you have a base product and then add various flavors, do I need to have a seperate plan for each as well? Thank you!

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:39 PM

I think starting with a hazard analysis for your "base product" then branching out into individual risks for different "flavors" makes sense. Just make sure it's obvious enough that an auditor will be able to understand how you laid it out.

You do need a separate hazard analysis for each unique ingredient set or process in your facility.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 November 2017 - 05:24 AM

I am new to having to write a HACCP plan all alone, I have always been part of a team. The new FSMA law is very expansive. When writing a food safety plan, if the process is the same but the ingredients differ, do you have to write a plan for each product? Such as, if you have a base product and then add various flavors, do I need to have a seperate plan for each as well? Thank you!

Hi stacey,

Just to add, i hv experience traditional haccp for which if all the flavours have an identical safety interaction in the process, you might be able to combine / use a list titled "Flavours" for haccp purposes. But FSMA/HARPC no idea.

To example, my experience is in seafood area and utilizes various species of shrimp input. They have same hazards/process so, from a haccp POV, can reference as "shrimp" for the hazard analysis + include a preliminary list of varieties to be included.

Even minor process variations not changing the CCPs  can sometimes be accommodated in a single flowchart but it depends on the case.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:20 PM

The "HARPC" preventive control plan is a bit different from a traditional HACCP plan, but they can be combined. The FDA has put out a free plan builder software package like their food defense plan builder.  Here's the link to the plan, you just download it onto your computer.

https://www.accessda...etyPlanBuilder/

Martha

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

"Life's like a movie, write your own ending."  The Muppets

dfreund

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 87 posts
  • 19 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:45 PM

FSMA allows process oriented food safety plans. Be sure to support that with an ingredient Hazard analysis for each unique ingredient.

dfreund

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 87 posts
  • 19 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:49 PM

Also you will NEED a Team.  Even if it is only necessary to meet monthly rely on operational expertise at your facility.  Your people will see the why and you automatically have embedded advocates in your operation.  Not just a good idea... it works

leah

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 November 2017 - 05:52 PM

How many production lines do you have? If only one production line and the process is the same, you'd only need one plan. But in your Raw Material / Ingredient Hazard Analysis, you would need to call out every single ingredient, including the different flavors. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users