• Quick Navigation
Photo

Do we really need to cover our ears with the hairnet?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Compliance Guy

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 16 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:31 AM

Hi,

I know this might have been answered already but I can't anything to solve my problem

We are packaging manufacturing factory and we do make food grade packaging as well

My question is, does we really need to cover our ears with the hairnet? what if lots of people are against it? how do we go about solving this?

Perhaps a risk assessment might solve the problem? but where to start?

Your valuable input will be appreciated

Many Thanks 

Compliance guy

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:41 AM

Hello CG, ears are useful for anchoring the hairnet to the head, without this rule they tend to congregate further and further to the top centre of the head until they become like a cherry on top of a bun.

Regards,

Simon

• pmf likes this

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 1 Member:

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 November 2017 - 03:53 PM

Hairnets are hard to be "lenient" on. You're either going to have to go around splitting hairs (bwahahahaha!) about what's "good enough" or set a standard policy that everyone has to follow.

As far as a food safety risk, given the food code allows "hair restraints" that includes hats etc., if you wanted to say over the ears is fine you can risk assess that away (e.g by comparing exposed hair to arm hair). But be warned that as Simon stated, you will have to police that the hairnets are still "effective" when worn this way.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,630 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 17 November 2017 - 03:57 PM

Loved that answer Simon!

Ear wax can be an issue, having been in more than a couple of facilities where the employees didn't like to wear their hairnets properly until two places had a "foreign substance" found in their RTE products... yuppers - Ear wax!

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:57 PM

Thanks Glenn. :smile:

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:08 PM

Loved that answer Simon!

Ear wax can be an issue, having been in more than a couple of facilities where the employees didn't like to wear their hairnets properly until two places had a "foreign substance" found in their RTE products... yuppers - Ear wax!

That's impressive...and gross. I'm guessing a bakery?

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

sqflady

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 250 posts
  • 63 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:36 PM

I have worked in a facility that did not require over the ears and another that does require over the ears.  I will say covering the ears with the hairnet significantly reduces the amount of violations regarding hair sticking out.  It really is not an issue with staff either because everyone wears them over the ears and it is just accepted to be the proper way.  Highly recommended!

DRFSM

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 29 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:49 PM

Hairnets are a fickle creature, 

First i would understand the issue of hair, lice, dead skin, ear wax, ear hair, and oils is mitigated from products if worn correctly as designed, this includes bald men or men who shave their head.

Second i would ask what is the impact on your process and products if hairnets were not worn correctly, i.e if said contaminants were to enter the process or become embedded in your products. If i found bits of hair lice embedded in my packaging i would use a new supplier, and damage to name brand could suffer.

If you find that A the risk and severity of contamination being present if not worn exists and is unacceptable to you then i would say 1) wear them and 2) wear them properly as best practice in food manufacturing or manufacturing of food grade materials would require it over the ears.

And you didnt ask about Snoods which to me is the same deal. over the mouth under the nose if tight but generally over the nose is common.

There to me should be no question about staff not wanting to do it, because end of the day, if they dont understand why they should wear them properly then they should not be working for you. Those who take pride in their work with a sense of pride should understand the need to wear them and not argue the point.

Make a company policy, show a poster of what good looks like, and set that as your site wide standard!.  

But you know you will always get those smart people who question you why some places mac D, Greeeegs and the like who have staff who some wear just hats, some wear just hairnets and some who wear combinations of both. but then LOL look at the makeup they wear and the fake nails, lashes etc.

On the topic of hairnets i have a similar issue which i shall post in my own thread :D

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users