• IFSQN Member
  • 81 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 March 2018 - 04:37 PM

Hi everyone,

this is a rather simple question, we have spray bottles with canola oil in them and have a very hard time keeping them labeled. If we write on the bottles, no ink will stay on, and if we try to put an adhesive label, it peels off rather quickly as the outside of the bottle becomes oily from our employee's hands. 

Do any of you have the same problem, and have you figured out a good solution other than constantly labeling and hoping they are still on during unannounced audits? Is there a company that can sells bottles molded specifically to say OIL or anything else custom?

I've thought about a metal ring around the bottle with a laminated label, sort of my last resort at this point because I would prefer dangling labels that could tear off and end up in the food.

Any suggestions or tips are welcome!

Thank you.

nwilson

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 105 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:01 PM

We use a laminated label pocket and fix it to the bottle.  We have a label that is inserted into the laminated pocket that has all the item#, description and lot number associated for traceability.  we then can change out the label and wash the label pocket when the oil is used up.   

:coffee:

Thanked by 1 Member:

ebb30

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 81 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 March 2018 - 05:35 PM

We use a laminated label pocket and fix it to the bottle.  We have a label that is inserted into the laminated pocket that has all the item#, description and lot number associated for traceability.  we then can change out the label and wash the label pocket when the oil is used up.   

Does the pocket stay on the bottle over extended use pretty well? Do you have a link you could send me of where you purchase it from so I can take a look?

Thank you!

nwilson

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 105 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 March 2018 - 05:58 PM

This is an example and the site we purchase from.  The labels stay on for a good amount of time it will depend on how you wash the bottles as well.  We have the bottles and labels on our GMP Audit Checklist to review for any damages or incorrect labeling to document any non-conformance's.  

https://www.zoro.com...3pk/i/G7812640/

:coffee:

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 683 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:14 PM

There are many online companies that do custom printing for most plastic containers. We have used a couple for water bottles as well as chemical storage containers. The cost can be anywhere from $2-3 up to $10-15 depending on the type of bottle plus set up costs (usually 1 time charge). Just supply them with the artwork you want and they'll print the bottles for you.

sruggero

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:22 PM

Hello. We use a laminated tag, punch a hole in one end and attach it to the neck of the bottle with a metal-detectable zip tie.  Hope this helps.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Nikki R

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 51 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Painting, Spending time with my little men, Food Fraud and writing childrens books

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:42 PM

I wonder if a colour coded bottle would be a good solution? Write in your procedures and training manual that if the bottle is X colour then it contains Oil? 

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 683 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 March 2018 - 04:06 PM

Color coding would allow easy recognition but doesn't cover you with the GHS as the label components need to be present for all chemicals in your plant.

ebb30

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 81 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 March 2018 - 06:35 PM

Hello. We use a laminated tag, punch a hole in one end and attach it to the neck of the bottle with a metal-detectable zip tie.  Hope this helps.

I never even thought of metal detectable zip ties! I will look into this. We also use them on the line if something temporarily needs to be held together until maintenance can do a permanent fix, and I've always been uneasy about them breaking into the food. x-ray would not pick up regular zip ties but it would a metal detectable one! Thanks! 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users