• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:26 PM

Hello, 

I started to work in a small business making dehydrated healthy snacks and I'm responsible for food safety, hygiene, HACCP etc.

There are no documentation or records in place yet so I'm starting completely from scratch. 

Could someone please share detailed guidance where to start as I'm overwhelmed with information on Google and most of it is Catering industry related which is not suitable for manufacturers.

Regards,

Monica

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:39 PM

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 2 Members:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:07 AM

Hello, 

I started to work in a small business making dehydrated healthy snacks and I'm responsible for food safety, hygiene, HACCP etc.

There are no documentation or records in place yet so I'm starting completely from scratch. 

Could someone please share detailed guidance where to start as I'm overwhelmed with information on Google and most of it is Catering industry related which is not suitable for manufacturers.

Regards,

Monica

Hi Monica,

No offence intended but are you fully familiar with haccp systems already ?

Are you expected to have the company certified to a GFSI-recognised FS standard like BRC ?

Your own baseline/available technical backup/specific process/FS objectives likely dictate where to start.

JFI the UK/FSA website has a very useful do-it-yourself haccp guide called IIRC "My haccp"

Processes vary in their complexity but the basic haccp methodology tends to stay the same although there are several "flavours" of haccp in common use, all auditorily acceptable afaik.

PS - A long time ago Simon posted a, then, BRC-compliant haccp system for Packaging which still acts as an excellent introduction to traditional haccp and includes a useful package of typical Prerequisite programs -

http://www.ifsqn.com...kaging-company/

PPS - just noticed Scampi's previous post already has the link to the "myhaccp" website

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Gerard H.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 411 posts
  • 131 thanks
Excellent

• France
    France

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:10 AM

Hi Monica,

That's a unique situation. On one hand it's challenging and on the other hand you have the advantage to build it up in your own way.

Keep it simple, make it in such way, that you can expand it in the future. You can use pictures in your instructions.

It could be an idea to have a look in other companies, if you have possibilities in your network.

You need to adapt your system, to what's asked by your customers, bearing a future GFSI standard in mind (as mentioned above). You can be sure, that this question will come on your path in the near future (for that you need to know what's commonly required by your customers and in your markets).

Kind regards,

Gerard Heerkens

MonicaStep

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 June 2018 - 08:22 PM

Thank you very much everyone, it's very helpful.

Thanked by 1 Member:

MonicaStep

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 June 2018 - 08:24 PM

Hi Monica,

No offence intended but are you fully familiar with haccp systems already ?

Are you expected to have the company certified to a GFSI-recognised FS standard like BRC ?

Your own baseline/available technical backup/specific process/FS objectives likely dictate where to start.

JFI the UK/FSA website has a very useful do-it-yourself haccp guide called IIRC "My haccp"

Processes vary in their complexity but the basic haccp methodology tends to stay the same although there are several "flavours" of haccp in common use, all auditorily acceptable afaik.

PS - A long time ago Simon posted a, then, BRC-compliant haccp system for Packaging which still acts as an excellent introduction to traditional haccp and includes a useful package of typical Prerequisite programs -

http://www.ifsqn.com...kaging-company/

PPS - just noticed Scampi's previous post already has the link to the "myhaccp" website

Yes, I have a Masters degree in Food Safety and Control and HACCP certificate but I haven't used it for 10 years. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users