• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 19 July 2018 - 01:45 PM

Hi All,

A lot of the information you find for micro specifications of food products pertains to human food and I am finding it hard to correlate some of it to animal feeds.

Salmonella is an easy negative but standard plate counts and coliforms are a bit more difficult. For instance, our current spec is less than 10 cfu/g for total coliforms. This is based on what we've seen from a similar human food.

I don't know if we are being too conservative with these values because I can not find good data on the micros for feeding cows. The other thing we consider is that humans are handling our products so we keep that in mind when we set our specs.

Any insights or suggested readings are appreciated.

Thanks for the help!

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,493 posts
  • 1512 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 19 July 2018 - 02:12 PM

i can't find any limits however i did find this research paper that may be of use

https://www.degruyte...p-2013-0093.pdf

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:49 PM

Hi All,

A lot of the information you find for micro specifications of food products pertains to human food and I am finding it hard to correlate some of it to animal feeds.

Salmonella is an easy negative but standard plate counts and coliforms are a bit more difficult. For instance, our current spec is less than 10 cfu/g for total coliforms. This is based on what we've seen from a similar human food.

I don't know if we are being too conservative with these values because I can not find good data on the micros for feeding cows. The other thing we consider is that humans are handling our products so we keep that in mind when we set our specs.

Any insights or suggested readings are appreciated.

Thanks for the help!

Legally it may depend where you are.

Just as an example try googling << EC micro limits "animal feed" >> and you will see a load of possibilities.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

bmart

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:42 PM

Thank for the info Charles and Scampi. I am in the USA so I'll be dealing with the FDA for the time being

I was able to find stuff on Salmonellae but nothing definitive for E. coli or total plate counts. 

Attached is a good write up on microbe in animal feed which focuses on Salmonella

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users