Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 August 2018 - 09:37 PM

I might be overthinking this but I am having the hardest time trying to figure out how to convert ug/kg (which is how I get all the test results) into ug/day. I have pretty much figured out that 15ug/kg is equivalent to .000015ug (correct me if I am wrong), but how am I supposed to try to figure out how many micrograms someone is going to consume if the NADL level is .2ug/day. Do I multiply the ug amount, in this case .000015 by the serving size grams? Any advice would be very much appreciated! 

Thanked by 1 Member:

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 August 2018 - 12:05 AM

Typically consumption habits are estimated using the NHANES survey data, the dietary intake tables converted to retail commodities can be found here: https://www.ars.usda...cd-data-tables/

Your math is a bit wrong, you need to use the density you had and multiply it by an average daily intake, you're going from a concentration of lead to a flat intake value based on consumption habits.

So if I have say margarine, and I found 15 µg/Kg lead in the butter. I'd look at the NHANES survey data and see that the average consumption for males and females 2 and over is 5grams per day.

So, the average person would consume from my product

(5 grams butter)(15µg lead/1000g butter)=75µg of lead per person per day.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Niccky524

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 August 2018 - 05:04 PM

Wouldn't that come out to .075ug of lead per person per day? The safe harbor limit for lead is 15ug/day for example. If you divide 15/1000 = .015 and then multiply that by 5g = .075. Right? Math has always been my weakness but 75ug doesn't seem right. 

Edited by Niccky524, 21 August 2018 - 05:10 PM.

FurFarmandFork

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 August 2018 - 03:28 PM

You are correct, I missed the decimal there. That would have come out to 0.075µg lead per day.

Austin Bouck
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

mixican

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 August 2018 - 07:15 PM

Hello

I hope it would be OK for both Nikkey524 and FurFarmandFork for me to post this, but I was so excited to find this post because (ug/kg conversions to ug/day) is something I've been trying to figure out on my product, Roasted Sesame Seeds.

So, please advise me if possible.

I've run testing of Acrylamide on Roasted Sesame Seeds, and the result has come out as 100 ppb.

Now, I've got an idea from your conversation that in order for me to figure out whether my product contains contains less than NSRL of 0.2 ug/day I need to multiply 100 ppb (0.01ug/g) by average daily intake.

However, how could I find average daily intake of Roasted sesame Seeds? I guess using serving size would give me ug/day.

I thank you in advance for your time.

Thanked by 1 Member:

FurFarmandFork

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 August 2018 - 03:01 PM

Hello

I hope it would be OK for both Nikkey524 and FurFarmandFork for me to post this, but I was so excited to find this post because (ug/kg conversions to ug/day) is something I've been trying to figure out on my product, Roasted Sesame Seeds.

I've run testing of Acrylamide on Roasted Sesame Seeds, and the result has come out as 100 ppb.

Now, I've got an idea from your conversation that in order for me to figure out whether my product contains contains less than NSRL of 0.2 ug/day I need to multiply 100 ppb (0.01ug/g) by average daily intake.

However, how could I find average daily intake of Roasted sesame Seeds? I guess using serving size would give me ug/day.

Serving size is based on Reference Amounts Customarily Consumed per eating occasion. They are not average intake per day.

If I had to use data for average sesame seed consumption per individual per day, I might use the data in the NHANES tables for nuts (7g) if I was being conservative, or there's a study here that suggests median intake for "spices" is somewhere in the range of 2g/day. (https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC3116467/)

You might also want to account for special use of your product such as in tahini paste or on sesame seed buns if those intake numbers end up being higher. McDonald's has some data on how many sesame seeds per bun. https://yourquestion...re-on-each-bun/

Austin Bouck

tspiekermeier

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:40 PM

Hello

I might be wrong, but doesn't 100 ppb convert to .1ug/g?

Attached Files

CarolinaM

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 July 2020 - 02:59 PM

Hi,

So I have got the result for acrylamide on my product - potato crisps - in ug/kg and I am trying to convert this to ug/day. I have checked the NHANES data but there is not information for potato crisps or anything similar. Any thoughts on this? Shall I use the info for potato?

Thank you

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users