• Quick Navigation
Photo

Can we repack pet food in a chocolate and nuts (for humans) repacking?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

sudeshna89

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 October 2018 - 06:57 PM

Hello Everyone, 

We are SQF Certified under manufacturing and storage and distribution scope. Can we repack pet food in the same lines where we run chocolates, nuts and other allergens with a robust cross contamination plan?.  If both human and pet food are treated the same, is there a need to have another Food Safety plan?

Thank you in advance :) 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 03 October 2018 - 07:03 PM

Please, no

While theoretically it MAY be ok (if you swab a ton and you're 100% sure it's ok) but if your customers ever caught wind of that.............wowzers you'd be done for

People=people

pets=pets

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

sudeshna89

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 October 2018 - 07:11 PM

Lol! I got your concern. We do have another facility where we dont do any repacking, but do store and distribute finished food products. 

Is it a concern to repack pet food in that facility? And how different are FSMA preventive controls of human food from pet food? 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 03 October 2018 - 07:21 PM

I don't know from FSMA (we don't export) but that makes a whole lot more sense to me than trying to run pet food on regular production lines

"This rule requires animal food facilities to have a food safety plan in place that includes an analysis of hazards to determine which ones need control and risk-based preventive controls to minimize or prevent those hazards."  FDA

https://www.fda.gov/...a/ucm366510.htm

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 227 posts
  • 69 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:Validation, basketball, chocolatier

Posted 04 October 2018 - 12:39 AM

sudeshna89,

For post #3, normally, same process should be deployed for petfood (with the exception of course of same hazard that "may not yet be identified as hazard for pets"). But like post #2, if customer came to know that they share the same line, it may not give good impression.

Normally, aside from the impression, the idea of having petfood separated from human food is that pet foods have higher attraction to pests (including stored product pests), hence the chances of having attraction/infestation or higher that is why during site risk assessment care is emphasized on pet foods. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users