Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 July 2019 - 03:05 PM

I have found lots of information regarding how to assess our culture and ways to improve it however I am struggling with how to lay this out in our Quality manual. Swiftee if you don't mind doing so would you be able to post your policy and procedure or maybe detail how you laid them out.

QAGB

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 685 posts
  • 262 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 02 August 2019 - 06:43 PM

The auditor told us that for this clause 1.1.2 we should have an detailed plan, it could be a 5 year plan. The plan should indicate clear action that will be taken, not only stating we will do "this" to improve "that". But a plan with a timeline, this will be done at this time, etc. 

It's kind of blurry this clause in the BRC version 8.

I feel like it's more of a HR project.

Somebody know why BRC decided to had this kind of clause to the new version?

We're trying to elaborate our plan, we did a small survey with multiple answer question as a start.

I think the reason why BRC decided to put this sort of clause into the new version is because a lot of companies do suffer from a lack of management commitment. Many people see the GFSI audit as "QA's audit". The rest of the company wants to be as hands-off as possible. 

That's not to say the majority of companies are like this. I've been to and worked for a lot of companies that don't have this issue. You can see pretty easily an organization where everyone takes pride in their role, and employs a team effort. A good auditor can spot the difference between organizations with good workplace culture and those without. 

I have to think that enough people have seen the companies without good workplace culture, that they found this was needed. When senior management doesn't show the commitment to the employees, the employees sense it; and lose pride in their work. Disgruntled employees don't really do much for a positive food safety & workplace culture.

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 05 August 2019 - 08:44 AM

I think the reason why BRC decided to put this sort of clause into the new version is because a lot of companies do suffer from a lack of management commitment. Many people see the GFSI audit as "QA's audit". The rest of the company wants to be as hands-off as possible. 

I certainly agree that this is a potential benefit of the new requirement; it's all too easy to make BRC and other FS standards into "just" a QA/technical thing.
But to me it felt more like a targeted move as a reaction to the well publicised issues at e.g. the 2SFG poultry sites, where the implication was that there appeared to be abject failings in food safety culture at all levels, and thus something that management really should be engaged with and on top of.

In fact it feels broadly similar to the introduction of section 5.4 in Issue 7 as a response to the Horsegate fiasco and subsequent Elliott review.

QAGB

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 685 posts
  • 262 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 05 August 2019 - 01:51 PM

I certainly agree that this is a potential benefit of the new requirement; it's all too easy to make BRC and other FS standards into "just" a QA/technical thing.
But to me it felt more like a targeted move as a reaction to the well publicised issues at e.g. the 2SFG poultry sites, where the implication was that there appeared to be abject failings in food safety culture at all levels, and thus something that management really should be engaged with and on top of.

In fact it feels broadly similar to the introduction of section 5.4 in Issue 7 as a response to the Horsegate fiasco and subsequent Elliott review.

You're probably right. I didn't think about it from that angle. I've noted a trend with recalls and past dealings that food safety culture seemed to stop often times with QA. It's the whole "get the product out the door" mentality of some folks out there.

Whatever the angle, I'm glad BRC is taking a deep look at food safety culture. I think it has been needed for quite a long time.

Nikki R

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 51 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Painting, Spending time with my little men, Food Fraud and writing childrens books

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:41 AM

Have to apolagise for the late update, my manager decided that issue 8 was way to much for him and quit 2 weeks before the audit so i have been a one person tech team for a few months now lots to do no little time! Our procedure and questionnaire were well received by the auditor however, we did get a non conformance against this section. Make sure you have a plan with key timings. You will need to be able to show an auditor where you are in the actions you have decided to take. We had an action plan but with no deadlines or progress indicators as I had read somewhere else you have 5 years to make improvements this was our downfall. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Ivy101

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 18 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 30 September 2019 - 12:06 AM

Hi

Just sharing BRCGS Food Safety Culture Excellence Manual-Implementation Guidelines

Attached Files

Thanked by 1 Member:

eatmoreomega3s

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 September 2019 - 02:03 PM

We finally had our BRC audit last week and walked away with 1 NC. Our auditor said my food safety culture questionnaire, policy and procedure was the best he had seen so far! So happy to help anyone else still struggling if needed.

I would greatly appreciate some help on better understanding and implementing a plan. Thank you in advance.

NancyKapesi

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Zimbabwe
    Zimbabwe

Posted 07 October 2019 - 10:53 AM

May i please have an example of a food safety culture plan

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:16 PM

I haven't read all the comments but I've had two different auditors audit this clause from two different CBs now.  I can say that the standard of auditing is very variable.  One auditor was absolutely wowed by what we'd done.  Another was "meh.  So you've trained some people?"

So just a brief overview.  We've put in a questionnaire to assess our culture and now run that twice.  We trained our leadership team in some key elements of food safety and then also trained out through our leadership team (importantly NOT the food safety personnel) to our shop floor staff, we also did other stuff I don't want to go into as it will reveal who I am.  We then showed that there had been an improvement in perceived food safety culture from the shop floor...

And the auditor was "meh".

You would not believe how much flipping work this all was and if you read the interpretation guideline we should have blown his blooming socks off but …. "meh".

So my lesson is, just because one auditor is "OMG!" you could also get the auditor I had and he was itching to raise a non con but couldn't find the wording to do so... so itched and itched till he found other clauses instead.  Just saying!!! 

Gotta love those people who are completely not pragmatic.  I'm not saying all auditors are like this but there are some auditors who audit because they can't cut the actual doing, do you know what I'm saying???  

Thanked by 2 Members:

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:17 PM

And I should have said, the auditor insisted the most senior operations person in the room took him through the plan not me.  Make sure your MD is ready...

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:43 AM

Interesting feedback, GMO, thank you.
It was always going to be one of the potentially more subjective clauses, but it's disconcerting to hear quite how variable your experience has been.

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddleboarding, Space

Posted 21 October 2019 - 04:28 PM

That is a little concerning  :mellow:  Perhaps the next issue will address this and provide more clarity on the clause. The IG gives  a decent amount of of guidance though as we know, some auditors will announce that they "don't audit the IG" and rather their own interpretation of the requirements. Hopefully after some time of implementation, experience and feedback this area may become a little clearer and less subjective.

Thanked by 1 Member:

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 October 2019 - 01:37 PM

That is a little concerning  :mellow:  Perhaps the next issue will address this and provide more clarity on the clause. The IG gives  a decent amount of of guidance though as we know, some auditors will announce that they "don't audit the IG" and rather their own interpretation of the requirements. Hopefully after some time of implementation, experience and feedback this area may become a little clearer and less subjective.

I had an auditor flounce when I raised something in the IG once.

The IG on this section is so vague and light touch but not how all CBs are auditing it.  Beware.... :unsure:

Geetha Upendra

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:49 AM

We finally had our BRC audit last week and walked away with 1 NC. Our auditor said my food safety culture questionnaire, policy and procedure was the best he had seen so far! So happy to help anyone else still struggling if needed.

Hi,

we are due for audit next week and am still struggling to live up to this particualr clause. so request you to please share procedure, policy and questionnaise which will definitely help..

GenThor

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 11 November 2019 - 02:44 AM

They do and are free of charge on BRC Participate. Please find relevant pages (2) attached.

Hi Terrine1, where you download the interpretion guide for BRC Issue 8?

I logged in to BRC participate and requested for access code, website mentioned access code will send to registered mail but there is no access code send to my email.

So wish to ask how you login to that website and obtain the interpretation guide?

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 November 2019 - 07:14 AM

Hi Terrine1, where you download the interpretion guide for BRC Issue 8?

I logged in to BRC participate and requested for access code, website mentioned access code will send to registered mail but there is no access code send to my email.

So wish to ask how you login to that website and obtain the interpretation guide?

You need to pay for participate.

GenThor

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 11 November 2019 - 07:37 AM

You need to pay for participate.

my site is BRC-certified. I checked with trainer (BRC auditor) she mentioned it is free for BRC-certified site owner.

Or am I having wrong info?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 11 November 2019 - 07:49 AM

my site is BRC-certified. I checked with trainer (BRC auditor) she mentioned it is free for BRC-certified site owner.

Or am I having wrong info?

it's "free".

see -

https://www.ifsqn.co...-8/#entry150045

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales

Posted 11 November 2019 - 07:58 AM

Hi GenThor,

It is indeed 'free' if you've already paid the certification fee. Perhaps the email they have registered for you is an old/different email? I'd suggest contacting BRC directly if you are having issues logging in.

Once you have logged in, you can go to the 'publications' tab at the top, and use the search bay to find (food safety issue 8 - interpretation guide).

GenThor

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 11 November 2019 - 08:09 AM

Hi GenThor,

It is indeed 'free' if you've already paid the certification fee. Perhaps the email they have registered for you is an old/different email? I'd suggest contacting BRC directly if you are having issues logging in.

Once you have logged in, you can go to the 'publications' tab at the top, and use the search bay to find (food safety issue 8 - interpretation guide).

Hi all, 

I wrote to customer service by filling the enquiries and also email to enquiries@brcgs.com but still no response.

I thought there is mistake on the procedure that's why I asked at here. Looks like i have to wait for BRCGS reply. Thank you so much for the answering =)

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales

Posted 11 November 2019 - 08:16 AM

The below is from their 'contact' page: If you're not getting a reply from the enquiries, try the submissions. I imagine the enquiries email has a lot of requests from people with questions about the standard itself 

Assistance

If you require technical assistance using the Directory, please contact submissions@brcglobalstandards.com

If you would like to discuss the content or application of the BRC Global Standards, please contact enquiries@brcglobalstandards.com

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 November 2019 - 10:35 AM

I forgot to say, if you have office 365 you can do an anonymous survey for free (not using Survey Monkey or similar).

GenThor

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 11 November 2019 - 02:16 PM

Hi all,  I registered successfully for BRCGS Participate.

Just email to Support <support@brcgs.com>  and they will assist on set up our account.

Thank you so much for the help =)

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales

Posted 11 November 2019 - 02:18 PM

Hi all,  I registered successfully for BRCGS Participate.

Just email to Support <support@brcgs.com>  and they will assist on set up our account.

Thank you so much for the help =)

Great news  :thumbup:

Whilst you're on there I'd recommend having a browse through other publications too, there's a huge range of info that you may find helpful 

Timwoodbag

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 210 posts
  • 68 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 November 2019 - 02:22 PM

I don't know, putting a tangible score on company culture seems too far for me.  

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users