• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Belgium
    Belgium

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:50 AM

Hi all,

We have a new employee that will be active in the production site with an nose ring.

Is it enough to let her instead wear a nosestone and tape it off or does she needs to remove the piercing in total?

She explains that it is not possible to remove it fully because it will fester then.

Someone advice regarding this topic?

TL:DR:

Employee with piercing stone can't remove it. Is taping her piercing off with blue tape enough?

Greetings

Edit: We are BRC certified. So it needs to be BRC conform.

Edited by Adolf von Liebenberg, 10 October 2018 - 10:51 AM.

Lesley.Roberts

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 165 posts
  • 77 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:56 AM

Hi there Adolf - there was a post on diath piercings last week that will give you the answers you need.

I'm a group quality manager & have my nose pierced - both sides but I NEVER wear these at work, would not set the right example...... and my nose never "festers" without the rings in...... what she is telling you is not true.

I would not allow wearing of nose rings in any of our factories (as per BRC) & if the lady doesn't want to remove her piercing, then perhaps the food industry is not the right industry for her?...

Thanked by 1 Member:

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,071 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:48 AM

Fully agree with Lesley; I have two staff with nose rings and these are not permitted on site. Once piercings are healed (within a few weeks after they're first done) it should not cause any problem to remove rings/studs.

Both Issue 7 and Issue 8 of BRC are fairly clear on this - included in clause 7.2.1is the requirement that: "rings and studs worn in exposed parts of the body such as ears, noses and eyebrows must not be worn".

The interpretation guidelines also very much reflect this, as rather than providing a selection of exceptions/ifs/buts these simply repeat the above.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Adolf von Liebenberg

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Belgium
    Belgium

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:30 PM

Thanks guys.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 10 October 2018 - 02:02 PM

I also want to add this is HACCP 101

HACCP (without a GFSI) is supposed to reduce, remove or eliminate hazards...................a nose ring is a hazard you can eliminate altogether

So this shouldn't just be about adhering to the BRC standard............this is about applying HACCP correctly

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,071 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 10 October 2018 - 02:45 PM

Yes, very much agree Scampi. But in a pragmatic sense it's often useful to be able to relate something to a nice easy written "thou shalt not" style reference than rely on general understanding of HACCP - I don't know about you, but I seem to encounter plenty of QA/technical/QC people who don't have a good grasp of the principles (to the extent that I'm almost inclined to start a thread for "weirdest HACCP-related things found while assessing suppliers", let alone expecting that from everyone else.
And yes, a good introduction to HACCP should be part of induction training for production staff, but again sometimes it's easier/necessary to get the right end result by not relying on everyone understanding it.

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,599 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 10 October 2018 - 02:51 PM

We are SQF and we allow new piercings to be worn if they cover it with a metal detectable bandage (plaster)  After 6-8 weeks, we ask people to remove the nose ring, earring, etc. while on the production floor. A few of our people load up with piercings as they leave work. 

-Setanta         

Thanked by 1 Member:

MsMars

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 606 posts
  • 194 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:56 PM

See these related posts for more on this topic, as it seems to come up a lot: 

https://www.ifsqn.co...g-up-piercings/

https://www.ifsqn.co...ed/#entry123861

https://www.ifsqn.co...ntil-they-heal/

Edited by MsMars, 10 October 2018 - 07:00 PM.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:46 PM

Yes, very much agree Scampi. But in a pragmatic sense it's often useful to be able to relate something to a nice easy written "thou shalt not" style reference than rely on general understanding of HACCP - I don't know about you, but I seem to encounter plenty of QA/technical/QC people who don't have a good grasp of the principles (to the extent that I'm almost inclined to start a thread for "weirdest HACCP-related things found while assessing suppliers", let alone expecting that from everyone else.
And yes, a good introduction to HACCP should be part of induction training for production staff, but again sometimes it's easier/necessary to get the right end result by not relying on everyone understanding it.

Couldn't agree more...................I personnally believe part of the reason GFSI's have not reduced the overall # of recalls is because plants are trying to meet the standard instead of actually working a robust HACCP plan.........the focus is utterly on the wrong thing

You should start a weirdest thing...........it will be our LOL for the day

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nose, piercing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users