• Quick Navigation
Photo

Safe procedure for mass chicken thawing?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Shaik88

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 23 October 2018 - 09:52 PM

Dear All,

I am working for catering company as Quality Manager.

Kindly Let me know is it safe to wash Frozen hard chicken before I pass to thawing.

also i need safe thawing procedure for mass chicken thawing as keeping in chiller takes a lot time to defrost. plz plz plz help me 

jdpaul

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 256 posts
  • 221 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 October 2018 - 12:02 AM

Have you mapped out the process you are trying to perform?

I think with your process mapping depicted I could help you with a hazard analysis of your proposal

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 24 October 2018 - 06:22 AM

Dear All,

I am working for catering company as Quality Manager.

Kindly Let me know is it safe to wash Frozen hard chicken before I pass to thawing.

Why wash ?

also i need safe thawing procedure for mass chicken thawing as keeping in chiller takes a lot time to defrost. plz plz plz help me 

Hi Shaik,

As indicated previous post, the thawing problem often relates to tonnage and yr process.

Based on thawing large quantities of frozen blocks of seafood, the critical safety factors are flowing water and/or stirring and temperatures maintained below 10degC.

IMEX this is typically a multi-hour procedure.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,053 posts
  • 292 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 24 October 2018 - 01:33 PM

In the USA - the USDA recommends to not wash chicken - or https://www.fsis.usd...ty/washing-food

As for thawing: what Charles said above

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 24 October 2018 - 01:37 PM

DO NOT WASH

YOU WILL automatically spray the bacteria on the surface everywhere

19.8.6 Thawing Poultry in Water

When ready-to-cook poultry is thawed in water, the thawing practices and procedures shall be such as will prevent the product from becoming adulterated by the absorption of moisture. Such poultry shall be thawed by one of the following methods:

• in continuous running tap water of sufficient volume and for such limited time as is necessary for thawing. The thawing medium shall not exceed a temperature of 21°C;
  • in re-circulated water, maintained at a temperature not in excess of 10°C, for such limited time as is necessary for thawing;
  • the placing of frozen ready-to-cook poultry into cooking kettles, without prior thawing, is permitted only when a representative sample of the entire lot has been thawed and found to be sound and unadulterated. Thawing practices and procedures shall result in no net gain in weight over the frozen weight, when whole carcasses or parts thereof are thawed for repackaging. Thawed poultry may be held in tanks of crushed ice with continuous drainage, pending further processing or packaging.

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 25 October 2018 - 05:46 AM

Hi Scampi,

21deg C at a "limited" albeit unspecified  time ! Yikes !

In a batch process, IMEX, the stirring is critical.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 25 October 2018 - 12:52 PM

Charles, that is why it says running water.........and the 21C is just a way of saying you cannot use HOT water......21C is tepid and allows for gradual thawing

No YIKES........please bear in mind as I've mentioned before........when CFIA publishes regulations with time/temp combinations it is because they are VALIDATED to have a wholesome safe product in the end

Meat of any kind is highly regulated in Canada and the Veterinarian in Charge still hast the final say

So in order to perform the above you would first have to submit a process for review.............BEFORE any thawing every occurred and chances are it would go to National Programs for review and then CFIA would be closely watching the actual process (plus lots of sampling occurring) to ensure you are A---following your own procedure and B--you're meeting the regulations

forsakenque

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Sweden
    Sweden

Posted 19 November 2018 - 06:00 AM

I like to put it in a ziploc bag, fill the kitchen sink with really hot water and let it thaw out in there. It usually takes 45min or less. I've done the fridge method at times, but I eat so much chicken and have a small fridge, that this just more convenient for me. 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 19 November 2018 - 01:43 PM

I like to put it in a ziploc bag, fill the kitchen sink with really hot water and let it thaw out in there. It usually takes 45min or less. I've done the fridge method at times, but I eat so much chicken and have a small fridge, that this just more convenient for me. 

As long as you're only doing this at home!!!!!!!!!! Don't do this on a commercial scale!!!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users