• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Trinidad and Tobago
    Trinidad and Tobago

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:47 PM

Hello everyone.

For the ice cream manufacturers among our members: Do you routinely test for Salmonella in ice cream made with powdered milk?

I am working with an ice cream factory and the manager does not want to test for Salmonella at all because he says they do not use fresh milk or eggs and that pasteurization will destroy any Salmonella present.

Though I agree that the ice cream in this case is not high risk, I recommended monthly testing as a verification method since the ice cream still uses raw materials that may have Salmonella.

What do you think?

Lesley.Roberts

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 165 posts
  • 77 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:19 AM

If you have confidence that your suppliers (which should be audited) have robust HACCP systems & adequate sampling (ie 2 x 375g taken from either a "trickle sampler" or valid sampling method) and are testing for salmonella in 750g there shouldn't be any salmonella present. 

However, It might be a good idea to routinely test for enterobacteriaceae as, if you have a count here, there is a possibility of salmonella contamination - this gives you an early warning system too?.

I would also ask what food safety knowledge the factory manager has -  often senior management make decisions/assumptions based on what they think they know, without fully understanding the implications?

(I worked at a chicken factory & was told by the factory manager "it doesn't matter - just freeze any old product because freezing kills all the bugs doesn't it?" worrying on a number of different levels!!!... just because your factory manager knows how to produce the icecream he/she might not fully understand the food safety implications?)

Thanked by 1 Member:

EagleEye

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 111 posts
  • 30 thanks
Good

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:29 AM

Hello to srose and all,

These are my thoughts;

Are you receiving any COA from the suppliers of your raw materials? Even though not high risk category in this case, still the risk persists considering many other 

factors. This is also a case of your confidence level, history of any previous occurrence and many other things like the commitment to food safety etc.

I do underline your last sentence plus you can consider raw material samples testing for salmonella at the time of arrival and/or you can demand a COA from the supplier  

Thanked by 1 Member:

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 227 posts
  • 69 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:Validation, basketball, chocolatier

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:47 AM

What is your country regulation for Salmonella in Ice cream?  If it is required, then, your Factory Manager should not have any options to challenge your recommendation but explain the "why".

In case not, consider the risk.

In you raw materials that you mentioned, are there materials that are added after heat treatment (such as purees, nuts, chocolate sauces) or all materials added before heat treatment? If it is the 1st one, then I will focus my resources on establishing confidence with my suppliers (through audit and analysis - while analysis is mainly "verifying" your confidence with your suppliers). It will be "difficult" to test on FG without this (while you may do so, the risk is high given that it is also possible that some suppliers may not comply with cGMP). 

If it is the 2nd then I will assure that my heat treatment is validated for listeria monocytogenes as it is more "heat-resistant" as compared to salmonella. I will monitor more for Listeria monocytogenes and if the regulation does not require, will propose that Salmonella may be analyzed semi or annual basis.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:52 AM

Hello everyone.

For the ice cream manufacturers among our members: Do you routinely test for Salmonella in ice cream made with powdered milk?

I am working with an ice cream factory and the manager does not want to test for Salmonella at all because he says they do not use fresh milk or eggs and that pasteurization will destroy any Salmonella present.

Though I agree that the ice cream in this case is not high risk, I recommended monthly testing as a verification method since the ice cream still uses raw materials that may have Salmonella.

What do you think?

Hi srose,

I assume you represent Quality Assurance.

I assume yr finished product has a Product Specification. i anticipate that this includes a requirement for non-detection of Salmonella.

It is Quality Assurance / HACCP 101 to verify that the Product complies with the Product Specification.

If yr "Manager" demands that Quality Assurance do not perform such Verifications, I suggest you ask for this curious belief in writing.

It's a case of covering your QA back in the event of any future problems.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

srose

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Trinidad and Tobago
    Trinidad and Tobago

Posted 14 January 2019 - 01:03 PM

Thanks to all of you who took the time to reply. Your answers have been very helpful.

I included monthly Salmonella testing in the finished product testing program because:

1. Our country does not have any ice cream specifications HOWEVER the factory exports and many other countries have Salmonella requirements for ice cream

2. The staff at the factory has to manually add the ice cream tubs to the filling line and manually cover them after filling. With this increased human handling, I think Salmonella, along with other pathogens, should be checked in the finished products

3. I am willing to consider a bi-annual or annual Salmonella test but I told the factory that they needed to establish at least 6 months of data consistently showing no Salmonella before we can extend the testing time from monthly to quarterly then bi-annually then annually

The factory gets COA with the ingredients so there is no problem from the supplier end. However, quite a few activities after pasteurization includes either manual handling, flavor inclusion and ingredients inclusion.

Thanks again. I just wanted to get the perspective of other international Q.C. and food safety professionals. From the advice given, I see you guys are thinking the same way I am.

Thank you so much again IFSQN! Your help is always so very appreciated.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users